Nine-disc Best of Miyazaki box-set

Gosh, really?

1 Like

Condescending? Yes, that sometimes is fun. Sorry if I came across as that this time.

Dismissive? I wouldn’t know. At least I don’t know why a rant about why I don’t like those dubs and don’t think that they deserve being called “good” dubs would be dismissive. It would have been dismissive if I had just said “you have low standards” and left it at that… or if I had responded with a one-sentence post attacking form rather than substance ;-).

When I came to this discussion, there were people praising the quality of the Disney dubs, which really didn’t fit with my experience. So I felt I had to pierce that bubble.
Sorry if I was too negative.

On a lighter note, watch the first couple of minutes of the 1968 French animated movie “Asterix and Cleopatra” for the ultimate wisdom on dubbing. (The English dub is perfectly fine for this purpose).

1 Like

Having grown up on Godzilla and Kung fu movies matinees, terrible dubbing has hardly ever spoiled a good movie for me.

1 Like

Yes, they hire “actors” who more often than not are hired solely for their name and to play themselves rather than “voice actors” who have spent decades of their lives learning how to act with only a microphone. Learning how to play six different characters without people realizing they’re all one person behind the voices.

The Disney dubs are good because they hire good directors, writers and talent. They would be just as good with straight Voice Acting talent as they are with the stars, but then they don’t get to advertise big names on the front of the box.

Chris Rock once insulted a lot of people by proclaiming “Voice acting is easy! You walk into a room and talk for five hours and they pay you a million dollars!” Well, no, they pay Chris Rock a million dollars to be Chris Rock for five hours. Let’s see how he does when he has to play three different people and a talking broomstick without sounding like Chris Rock.

Anyway, rant done.

7 Likes

Good voice actors can make you a lot of money…

1 Like

I was actually going to mention Frank Welker, but figured I went on long enough. =o)

Though I believe he was recently surpassed for box office draw. I don’t remember by whom.

Neither of my Macs have optical drives, they stopped adding them a while back. I suppose I could buy an external optical drive so that I could fill my shelves with a digital format that already has one foot in the grave, but downloading the torrent takes less time then ripping and produces a pretty high quality for size file one that takes lots of ripping experience to match. I think if I bought the physical media I’d do so just to support the studio and then download my own copies and donate the physical media to the local library.

True enough, I owned several of these on VHS and DVD way back when I had those.

I don’t want to own more crap, I’ve been intentionally simplifying. Plus I was able to finally get bluray quality copies from a certain Bay in less time then it would take to add a bluray player to my amazon cart, and then i’d have to get a tv to go with that player, and really what i want is a legitimate way to get digital copies and support the studio, not to invest in antiquated technology.

same goes for cds, but the writing is on the wall for both technologies…you can’t play a cd or bluray disc in your phone, or tablet, and sure you can rip them, but technically in the US that is just as illegal as downloading pirated copies, even if you own the physical media. I just don’t see the appeal of the format nor a future for it.

That’s a good point.

2 Likes

That’s a great idea!

I remain mindful of the time Amazon discovered overnight that there was some issue with their rights to “publish” George Orwell’s Animal Farm and 1984 so Kindle owners woke up to find those two books gone from their collection (in the most perfect example of irony ever). Owning a physical copy means they have to come to your house to wrest it from your cold, dead hands, by which time hopefully you’ve committed it to memory.

1 Like

Is that true? I thought copying to your own devices was covered under “fair use”.

Depends on the country: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripping#Legality

Usually the “crime” is circumvention of copy-protection, not transcoding.

1 Like

A huge portion of fair use law was eliminated under the DMCA laws, and ripping dvd and bluray is circumventing DRM and illegal under the DMCA, but even copying, copyrighted music for your own use is now technically illegal.

“Making unauthorized copies of copyrighted music recordings is against the law and may subject you to civil and criminal liability of up to five years of jail time and fines up to $250,000. Users may be surprised to know that this includes burning copies to blank cds and ripping to mp3.”

That is correct, although in many countries including the usa, duplicating copyrighted material is now itself illegal even for personal use. There have even been court cases about photocopying pages from textbooks. This includes ripping for personal use.

“U.S. copyright law (Title 17 of the United States Code) generally says that making a copy of an original work, if conducted without the consent of the copyright owner, is infringement. The law makes no explicit grant or denial of a right to make a “personal use” copy of another’s copyrighted content on one’s own digital media and devices. For example, space shifting, by making a copy of a personally-owned audio CD for transfer to an MP3 player for that person’s personal use”

1 Like

Hollywood’s dream is to make what is technically illegal, technically impossible. They wish to simplify your life for you.

1 Like

Very funny.

2 Likes

What I have seen is that people are expecting the same lecherous vile Lupin that is pretty much standard for the rest of his tales. In Cagliostro, most people don’t get that it takes place much later in his career. The softer, kinder Lupin we see there is a different and evolved take on the character. Lets not also forget that Miyazaki worked on the original Lupin show for a while and had a major hand in shaping the animated version from its earlier manga days. So his later take on the character has leverage.

1 Like

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Solstice present ordered.

1 Like

I must have a report. I LOVE that film!

True dat. You heard the Harry Potter voice versions? SOOOO good. The voice actor takes it all to a whole new level.

1 Like

Card Captors totally killed the concept AND left out the first 5 episodes of the series. I’m not sure that that’s all that great an example.

I haven’t seen that picture in years. That brings back a lot of memories.