Nine freakishly frightening films you've probably never heard of

Originally published at: Nine freakishly frightening films you've probably never heard of - Boing Boing

2 Likes

I don’t remember my opinion on A Dark Song, so I must not have been blown away.

Pontypool is a must watch, though!

5 Likes

I’ve seen Ravenous and Black Sheep.

Ravenous is a phenomenal thriller. It does have some elements that could’ve been executed better but overall it is one of my all time fave movies.

Black Sheep is a fun, gory, schlocky b-horror. Not sure i would recommend it to just anyone, but if they happen to like campy horror then Black Sheep is about as good as it gets.

5 Likes

One Cut of The Dead is funny, not scary.

3 Likes

+1 for Pontypool, Society, Ravenous, Black Sheep and One Cut Of The Dead.

3 Likes

If you want to recommend massively pretentious shite then Begotten is the way to go.

1 Like

Black Sheep is the one I’ve seen as well. I remember enjoying it.

1 Like

… to which somebody commented, “That’s my annual Thanksgiving movie!”

5 Likes

Black sheep was pretty funny. Chris Farley was amazing.

Oh wait.

7 Likes

Well, I’d recommend ‘Parents’ because it gets under your skin. I still watch it occasionally. Got in trouble once for recommending it to my roommates as a comedy. Since I first watched it, Randy Quaid has gone from being a cult actor to… hmmmm

2 Likes

I’ve heard of Ravenous, but I’ve seen none of these, and it’s going to stay that way. I swore off horror movies after watching Ringu. That movie made me realize that I just really do not enjoy being scared by a film.

1 Like

Pretentious, maybe. But you can’t deny this nightmarish segment they managed to produce. We’ve used it on loop in the past at a haunted attraction I work at. It’s definitely disturbing.

2 Likes

Huh, I’ve seen five of them, and they were all pretty good. Most were pretty straightforward genre films, ultimately, except: A Dark Song, which has a slow build-up of dread and kept me guessing about how it would play out to the end. One Cut of the Dead cleverly shifts genres - starting out as horror, quickly switching to meta-horror, then halfway through doing an abrupt genre change that would perhaps be spoilery to mention, but which is hilarious.

“It Follows” is a movie I’d put in this company, though I suppose it’s bigger budget and better-known.

2 Likes

… I saw “Ravenous” when it came out

The most disturbing horror film I’ve seen recently was “His House,” wherein ghosts are the least of the protagonists’ problems :grimacing:

2 Likes

For horror films that take a left turn and keep going, I recommend Shadows of the Dead.

A young couple is on their way to a weekend at a secluded cabin in the woods, when the man is bitten by a zombie. He becomes a zombie and bites his girlfriend, who also becomes a zombie.

The next hour and a half is them discussing how this affects their relationship.

5 Likes

Ravenous isn’t horror per se, on wikipedia it’s labeled a horror comedy which i also don’t entirely agree with though it does have some moments of humor peppered here and there. To me it’s closer to a thriller, but if its not your jam that’s ok too

2 Likes

I’ve seen Ravenous, One Cut of the Dead, and Society.

And I’m actually in the middle of rewatching Ponytpool with my partner who hadn’t seen it.

I think I’d previously heard of three of the others I hadn’t seen.

I am particularly into weird horror though.

3 Likes

Ok, I’ll play this game. Let’s review the task:

“My boyfriend has watched almost every single horror movie in existence, I want to wow him with a spooky. What’s your incredibly niche but terrifying watch?”

Now: Let’s get niche-y!

• Taxidermia
  • The Cremator
  • God Told Me To
  • No Blade of Grass
  • Violence Voyager
  • Woman Chasing the Butterfly of Death
  • Birdboy: The Forgotten Children
  • Nightwatch (and) Daywatch

And as a bonus, I’d suggest the wonderful documentary, Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched: A History of Folk Horror, which I think is still available on Kanopy.

(and if you’re feeling particularly flush, there’s an astounding box set)

6 Likes

That Ravenous has a lot of famous people in for a film i have never heard of, but then i suppose i am more sci-fi than horror.

1 Like

5 Likes