Nine hideous Pixar ripoffs

For audio, it seems to be one of those areas where it’s only really noticeable when it’s awful. When it’s excellent everything just clicks and many people won’t register it because it just feels right.

Same goes for dubbing of another language. Done well, you’d never notice it (eg. Studio Ghibli films) Done badly, it screams out at you as terrible (a good 90%+ of anime dubs)

Could hardly fail to be. Cars 2 was hideously bad.

Could be worse though, we live in a Planes household…

2 Likes

If only it had been bad design or acting, but with appreciation. I mean, it is appreciation, but for:

• breaking the notion of a string; hand painted basilisks or breakage in codecs are the goals
    o exquisite voice and animation quality sundered utterly by publisher or player at hand
    o you know, while the post-watchable market’s clearly here
  • solidarity among consistencies when not caring
  • creative artists
    o here imagining that credits are one assumed name Ms. Mpyxedm Aixnts at all
  • ubiquity in compote of sueball
    o use of ‘dodge’ tool
  • patterns of antiproduction as legal domain (art damage by harm realists)

In other news I can search ‘prehensile tires’ all I want and Google’s not even asking …did you mean visual grace notes attributing gestural kinesis to vehicle components? Then there are car interior finishes extruding rimmed apertures for all components, but it doesn’t…I’m not getting the action picture.

Ooh, that one worked! Gold like ‘This is fine.’:
The main utility I see in my erstwhile mountaineering was this education
of my composure, which enabled me to sleep upright on the narrowest
ledge overlooking an abyss.
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10486801.2015.1049818
Yeah, ‘Prosody and Alignment: A Sequential Perspective’ as garage instructions.
20 ways it could’ve autocorrected ‘gestural’ and it demurrs.

Oh, and Andy Dick voiced walrus that does draw on his likeness meant we were not yet at peak nightmare fuel here at the BTC and nightmare fuel futures exchange.

8 Likes

I’m sorry to be so divisive, but holy shit, THESE two guys were the best people they could find to do the voiceover for the video?! Not only do they both have voices that are really only suited for saying the sentence “I do a couple shifts a week in the local bike shop, but mostly I just hang out”, but they’ve obviously never heard, or heard of, some of the words in the script. Yikes.

2 Likes

Hey, second takes are an expensive luxury when all you have is one remaining dubplate to record your VO on!

1 Like

i got a no prize once. it was a form letter from stan lee saying i indeed had won no prize. i treasure it still. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I wonder what the pitch meetings for these films were like.

“You like old man flying house movie, yes? I give you big discount! Number one quality!”

1 Like

Dude… I am 99% sure I saw the UP rip off.

I had just gotten a Roku, but no Netflix. I found some free channels and that was on there. My kid wanted to watch a show - so we did. It wasn’t good, but she was young.

Then again, the cartoons we watched as kids were generally poorly drawn with crappy plots, so as a kid I’d probably watch anything animated.

That is so freakin’ cool. Was it printed on an envelope?

That is true. Our generation likes to romanticize the Saturday-morning cartoons of our youth but they were mostly shit. Ever try re-watching “The Smurfs” as an adult? Or their less-popular sister show “Snorks?” (shudder)

Compared to what we gobbled up our kids’ generation is a bunch of film snobs.

5 Likes

I was wondering the same thing. The one that really got me was pronouncing ascertain as “a certain”. But yeah, the voiceover was possibly as bad as the rip offs. And that background music … if that’s the best you can do for background music, please just not have any.

1 Like

i just did a hurried search through my comic boxes to see if i could find it, but i think it might be stuffed inside a spider-man comic somewhere. i guess, in truth, i must treasure the memory more than the actual letter. :frowning:

i’m pretty sure this matches the envelope i got – though i dont remember it being in color.

the letter inside was pretty much straight up “you haven’t won anything, but thanks for writing” with a xeroed looking copy of stan lee’s signature on it.

The first time I saw The Lion King when it came out in US theaters I was like, “Holy shit, they’re ripping off Kimba the White Lion that I used to watch as a kid in the Sixties!” (Along with Astro Boy, Marine Boy, Speed Racer, Gigantor, and other dubbed Japanese anime.)

1 Like

I agree The Lion King is a blatant ripoff of Kimba the White Lion (by way of Animal Hamlet) but at least when Disney steals someone else’s idea they don’t skimp on the execution. Almost the opposite of the ripoffs featured in the video above.

2 Likes

Seriously! What the fuck is a shannel? I lasted about two minutes through the mumbling voice-over and shitty video editing. Why do so many kids these days sound like they abuse Novocaine?

#GetOffMyLawn

5 Likes

Movies have the advantage of not needing to be possible to render in real time; much less on hardware mere mortals can actually afford; but contemporary video games have pretty serious art and sound budgets; plus the advantage of things like physics engines that (while worse than hand-tweaked output from human experts) do quite well at filling in background detail that is absent or terrible in really low rent computer graphics.

That’s what really struck me about these…fine works. I wasn’t expecting Pixar; but some of these are rocking the same eerie, minimally-textured wrongness that started to be either incompetent or deliberate in video games ~15 years ago(semi-arbitrary cut-off date, 6th-gen consoles other than the PS2 all had hardware support for normal mapping, which really helped add some texture even when you couldn’t afford the polygons; so it seemed a decent ballpark figure; with obvious wiggle room on either side depending on your budget).

I assume that Machinima is too full of other people’s art assets to legally sell, but it hasn’t looked this crude in years.

I knew some folks who worked at Disney during those years, and they said there was a lot of ridicule heaped on the in-production Lion King; the idea of an African lion-based Hamlet (and, yes, some people thought it was borrowing from Kimba) was so goofy that a lot of people tried to get transferred off of it and onto Pocahontas, which was seen as the “status” picture to work on. Supposedly they showed some in-progress work and everyone realized that Lion King was going to be something really special.

2 Likes

I keep wanting to rewatch this, but am afraid of it not being any good. On the other hand, it was written by Tony Robinson just after Blackadder.

1 Like

Even stuff that was fairly well drawn with fairly decent stories was still herky jerky and sub par compared to the newer stuff.

Like my beloved GI Joe, Transformers, and Thundercats. Oh there are some gems and these were much better than say The Snorks. But still compared to modern stuff, and even anime from the same period, it was lacking.

Go back even farther to like the 60s and 70s and everything is even worse (with notable exceptions, like Warner Bros or Disney, but most of those were large budget and played in theaters in front of movies originally).

I think in the early 90s is when production values all around picked up, where both art and story started to gel into true classics. The intro to Batman the Animated Series STILL gives me chills to this day.

2 Likes

The Wings clip reminded me of video games, with the lower poly, badly mapped low-res terrain texture reminiscent of older games due to the restrictions of real-time graphics, or newer video games that are sloppily done (plus the fairly static characters, some clouds that were obviously 2d sprites, etc.). An animation not being done in a game engine should look better than that. The rest are indeed well below the quality of video game animation. It mostly reminds me of pre-rendered computer animations I saw first year students doing in the mid-90s. There’s the high-poly smoothness that in the '90s was only possible with pre-rendered animation, but incredibly crude, incompetent modeling, texturing (which as you say, doesn’t even seem to display any sort of basic bump mapping, much less normal mapping) and a shocking lack of any kind of background detail. But what also makes me think of student projects is some competent rigging (as if there was one person who knew what they were doing helping out a large number of incompetent people who were doing most of the labor) and some relatively sophisticated software, based on the mouth movements. Although it’s also really badly rendered.