Nine weird penises in the animal kingdom

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/17/nine-weird-penises-in-the-animal-kingdom.html

2 Likes

Evincing as much perspective as a male is allowed: name nine non- weird penises.

4 Likes

I’m really happy not to be on this list.

10 Likes

Is anyone else surprised that a redundant array of independent dicks implementation was the solution that evolution ended up arriving at, rather than, say, some subtler circulatory tweaks to reduce refractory period?

It’s entirely possible that I have no conception of how likely or unlikely various mutations are(indeed, likely, given that I’ve got some basic undergrad bio but not much else); this just seems like a case where the odds for relatively gradual accumulation of modest vascular tweaks that end up increasing effective duty cycle would have been rather higher than nontrivial morphological change that makes lower effective duty cycle work.

6 Likes

I was robbed!

2 Likes

No mention of the corkscrew-shaped duck penis?

8 Likes

Years ago at a house party I came across a book which explored many of the weird and wonderful aspects of sex in the animal kingdom.

This book (or part of it at least) was in the form of letters to a sex therapist from each species POV complaining about their partners sexual organs, kinks, promiscuous nature etc.

It was hilarious and well written and sadly I’ve never managed to track it down again.

4 Likes

Do tell.

1 Like

Obligatory:

1 Like

Any chance it was this excellent book?

If not, it’s at least the same genre.

5 Likes

Maybe - I hope so.

It was a fairly small book (if memory serves) and the cover was missing on the second-hand version I was flipping through.

Thanks very much for the reference. I had given up trying to search for it!

2 Likes

I’ve enjoyed this one, so even if it’s not the correct funny book about a sex therapist addressing bizarre animal sex lives, maybe you’ll at least find it an entertaining funny book about a sex therapist addressing bizarre animal sex lives. Enjoy!

5 Likes

Gives the term ‘Horny’ a whole new perspective, doesn’t it…

5 Likes

:smirk:

6 Likes

“We’re going on a RAID!”

“Why? We have enough of everything we need.”

“My pet echidna is really horny.”

4 Likes

Is that a description of Philip Marlowe’s associates?

2 Likes

Human’s are among the most boring. Just a straight rod.

2 Likes

ISWYDT

1 Like

Smithsonian picks pricks

FTFY

1 Like

I’m surprised at the Smithsonian. So many weird dicks right there in D.C. that don’t even get a mention…

5 Likes