Nino, the Brutalist garden gnome

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/19/nino-the-brutalist-garden-gno.html

1 Like

Now you made me want an abstract expressionist gnome.

9 Likes

Not Brutalist enough.

50 Likes

And what weapons do they possess for subduing or destroying intruders? (Asking for a friend.)

7 Likes

Indeed, not Brutalist at all.

11 Likes

Dadaist?

Marcel Duchamp, Garden Gnome, 1917

12 Likes

Do you think he rides to work in one of these?:

Karlmann-King-SUV-2-810x540

MSRP: $3.8M (That’s allot of garden gnomes!)

6 Likes

Came for Brutalist, found Cubist. Disappointed. :disappointed:

10 Likes

Came to see if someone said this. I would argue it only needs a reflective pool to both soften and duplicate the harshness.

4 Likes

Le Corbusier would not agree, I suppose.

BTW, has Minecraft garden gnomes?

2 Likes

Sold!  

1 Like

The reflecting pool would also serve the valuable purpose of filling the space left by questions over what ‘brutalist garden’ is supposed to involve.

1 Like

I’m sure that the brutalism-that-is-true-brutalism wouldn’t do this; and it’s all just an unfortunate misunderstanding caused by appropriation of a cost-reduced version of the concept for certain socially unwise postwar housing projects; but I suspect that a brutalist lawn gnome doesn’t need weapons to subdue intruders: it just packs them into an oppressively sterile warren like the negative value postindustrial detritus they are and lets them destroy themselves or one another on their own initiative.

9 Likes

Does anyone else prefer their gnomes on the 5-6 inch scale, as depicted in the Wil Huygen / Rien Poortvliet books?

$108? Brutal, indeed…

1 Like

It’s a gnome from the bizzaro world.

This 3 metre tall chrome gnome is public art in my city (Christchurch, NZ).3metretallgnome

7 Likes

The low poly thing is big in 3d printing https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:906951

You know what they say there is no new thing under the sun.

1 Like

Chrome Gnome Leaves Loam, Finds Home Near Dome.

7 Likes

Excellent! That sounds even more diabolical than … A Room with a Moose!

2 Likes