Nintendo bringing back the NES Classic

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/14/nintendo-bringing-back-the-nes.html

1 Like

The Famicom Classic is also being re-released in Japan but with a different load of games. Here its mostly comic book related stuff.

On a completely unrelated note, anyone able to recommend good controllers for a Raspberry Pi?

Depends on what you want. Bluetooth, dongle, or wired? How modern/classic?

The iBuffalo Famicom or Super Famicom style controllers are hard to beat if you don’t mind wired.

Here’s the Super Famicom style…

… and the classic Famicom.

2 Likes

I still would like to get both of these. I mean I should just make a Raspberry Pi emulator with ROMs, but there are enough favorites and games I missed (due to not owning a SNES) that I would get my monies worth. I just never find them in stores. I guess I should look online.

1 Like

Super Mario 1, 2, AND 3? I might have to pick this up.

I like the 8bitdo N30Pro/F30Pro. It’s not perfect but it is good enough for my needs

I haven’t tried the SN30Pro/SF30Pro but the shoulder buttons might be a bit easier to use, at the cost of having a thicker controller (Which also might be an advantage if you have bigger hands)

2 Likes

I figured if we waited, we’d still be able to get one.

Sorry, I was on the run all day yesterday… Thing is, I’m a complete noob. So I don’t know what I need. The only video games I’ve ever played were PC games–other than a brief foray into the Atari 2600 when I was in middle school. But I have kids now, and so I wanted to let them play something. And Nintendo seems the way to go, so a Nintendo controller? Is that at type? (I’ve concealed my ignorance for decades; it’s hard to confess it.) Since they’re hyperactive (like dad), maybe cordless is better.

Try Target in store. They seem to have the SNES Classic in stock fairly often.

1 Like

You’ve gotten some pretty good advice already. I was going to suggest the 8Bitdo controllers if you’re looking to play old school games. You don’t necessarily have to get one with analog sticks if all you want is to play emulated classics. Just make sure you get one that is Bluetooth and not just 2.4G which is for the SNES Classic.

How much are they running retail, do you know?

$79.99 for the SNES Classic. NES Classic was $59.99 last time they released it.

Looks like you can get the SNES Classic from GameStop online right now:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.