Nintendo explains why Switch cartridges taste nasty


Originally published at:


Know Your Audience…


I was annoyed when aerosol duster cans started adding bittering agents to prevent inhalant abuse, since it’s hard to avoid getting a whiff of it when spraying them (and it is pretty nasty).

But I really think that, had I purchased a Switch, I would have gone my whole life without noticing that there was such an agent in its game cartridges.


That’s actually pretty interesting.


How are the going to combat those customers with an anal fixation instead of an oral one?



. … … … … … … … …


The fact that you had that comic standing by to answer the question a mere 6 minutes after it was asked proves that you have a sibling.


I have a new thing to do when getting access to a wish in my D&D campaign…


Have you seen the size of those cartridges? Pretty sure a teacup maltese could pass one without too much difficulty. :slight_smile:



But can you still get a mushroom high from licking them?


“Mario, we need to have a talk about consent. You can’t just lick people with out permission.”


If you think he’s got a problem then wait until you see Yoshi.


I have something to admit. When everybody else has huffing on their NES cartridges trying to get them to work, I would lick mine. The small strip of saliva did the trick…and it tasted nice and metallic like licking a 9-volt battery but without the tingle.

I’m sure I did way more damage to the carts (and brain) that way but it worked at the time.


I could have SWORN that I learned about “terrible-taste-as-a-service” brand of denatonium benzoate “Bitrex” from BoingBoing.

Anyhow: Bitrex! It’s added to all kinds of things that shouldn’t be eaten:


Does it get on your fingers after handling a cartridge?


Yep. Denatonium benzoate is often used in Denatured Alcohol (ethanol) to discourage people from drinking it.

Note, though, that most most formulations contain genuinely poisonous denaturants as well - usually methanol or pyridine, or occasionally acetone or MEK or isopropanol. Something toxic and difficult to remove.

(So I guess that’s “to prevent intentional poisoning”, eh?)

closed #18

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.