No charges for cops who killed Stephon Clark, an unarmed black man, in his own yard

not unless they were “fleeing”

3 Likes

While I’m still sure the only reason charges were quickly laid is because the former officer in question is a woman, conviction would set president to start getting meaningful responses out of juries when a male officer, maybe even white, is charged with murder.

6 Likes
6 Likes

One policeman said “GUN”
And I guess that’s a code to say: kill
Is there another word to cancel this one?
Like “Friendly”? “No Gun”? “Unarmed”?
So we can all learn it to save our life?

3 Likes

“No police officer wants to shoot an innocent person… by which I mean most police officers don’t… maybe there are a few who don’t?.. fuck it, we all salivate at the chance.”

2 Likes

They never said word 1. But Loesch did weigh in:

4 Likes

Right. Because white people who own guns never smoke pot /s

6 Likes

Might be a mouthful, but “I’M-JUST-IN-BLACKFACE!” could at least make the cop verify before opening fire.

I just want to be abundantly clear that I loathe the NRA and was being sarcastic.
I also unapologetically hope Loesch decides to buy those stupid yoga gunpants, knocks back a few drinks and/or controlled substance, and has a horrible, sterilizing accident.

1 Like

Once again: remind me which party has authority over the police of Sacramento?

Is Trump making the racist brutality of American policing worse? Of course.

But:

• This did not begin with Trump, and it will not end with him.

• Obama did absolutely fuck-all to support the Movement for Black Lives.

• Even today, Pelosi is still pulling the blatantly racist “all lives matter” bullshit.

• A very high proportion of police abuse against Black people occurs in cities controlled by the Democratic party. St Louis. Chicago. Cleveland. New York. Los Angeles.

White Democrats like to think that the GOP is the evil racist party and the Democrats are the noble anti-racist party. They assume that it is obvious that all Black people should vote for them, and that any who do not are lazy or deluded.

This is all horseshit.

America is a structurally white supremacist country, and it has two structurally white supremacist parties. Both parties support, maintain and enforce the white supremacist status quo.

The difference is that one party likes their racial dominance to be overt and crude, whereas the other prefers to pretend that it’s all just an unfortunate consequence of the inevitable natural laws of capitalism.

7 Likes

Nobody blamed this on Trump or Republicans

6 Likes

I just wonder if equating a city’s political party to who is responsible for the extant police brutality is a red herring. Police forces are longer-term than mayors and councils. And they operate independently from direct day-to-day management or oversight by political structures. Political structures (mayors, councils, legislatures) set up the laws, but they do not closely manage their application. That is supposed to be the judiciary.

While I agree in spirit with what you’re saying about D’s, R’s and all the rest… I feel like there is a disconnect. The police don’t care who is in office to do what they do. They just keep doing it until made to stop. A mayor cannot call up a police chief and demand X and Y criminals be released from the county jail, for example. (True probably 99% of the time.) Or call up the chief of police and say, “Hey, stop beating unarmed black people.” Mayors I’m sure would love that much control, but they do not enjoy it at that level. Influence, maybe, but not direct control.

D or R as mayor, police brutality is still going to happen, with the way this country is set up.

4 Likes

The heart of the problem are police collective bargaining agreements. If a city’s leadership doesn’t play hardball on disciplinary action for malfeasance on the job, you end up with violent, shooty police. If city administrations had started reforming how they negotiate contracts 5 years ago, we’d start seeing those efforts bearing fruit today. But that didn’t happen in very many communities, and the Gang in Blue continues to operate with little consequences for their actions across most of the US.

tl;dr - focus on your city administrators if you want policing to change in your community.

5 Likes

obviously they don’t have to sign collective bargaining agreements with cops at all

union membership in this country is at about 13%

there’s nothing stopping city councils from putting the police back in that other 87%

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.