No charges for cops who killed Stephon Clark, an unarmed black man, in his own yard

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/27/breakdown-of-how-sacramento-po.html

3 Likes

Sacramento police chief gave it away: “Our internal investigation concluded that there were no violations of department policy or training."

This is what they were trained to do. Its not an accident. How anyone in that city is ok with Hahn remaining chief of police is beyond me

36 Likes

Everything about the video evidence shows the cops were scared shitless. Why? They knew where the guy was, they knew there was a helicopter watching him, he wasn’t going anywhere. It would have been easy to de-escalate the situation. There are definitely bad cops out there, but there is also bad training. I would hope that his death at least could be a learning moment for police forces everywhere-- a suspected vandal doesn’t need to die so you can get your ‘collar’-- but I know that police departments would rather protect their own than change if it means admitting wrong.

13 Likes

I’m no electronics wiz, but in this day and age, isn’t direct communication between ground police and helicopters possible? I’d be taking advantage of an eye in the sky to not escalate.

12 Likes

Since they are getting off with no charges, it has been. Not the learning moment we would hope for, but a learning moment nonetheless.

ETA Since when does suspected vandalism warrant on-the-spot execution?

28 Likes

peep-show-hans-bullshit

26 Likes

In the (our) stupidest timeline, guns are the first resort

6 Likes

TODAY’S LESSON: this is one of the things you can get away with

20 Likes

Page 3 of the department policy.
Right after the section on When/How to yell “Gun!” and before Did You Know Your Bodycam has a Mute Button.

12 Likes

Since when does having a firearm warrant on-the-spot execution? Open carry seems to be all the rage with midwest white folks. I’m not sure what the laws are in CA (IANAL) but if the dude is holding a gun in his own backyard, shouldn’t the NRA be crawling out of the woodwork to protest the killing since he should have been allowed to hold a firearm?

Oh, wait. Black.

17 Likes

Give the NRA some credit…I’m pretty sure they mourned and protested Philando Castile’s slaying as unjust police brutality. Then with their powerful lobbying power, worked together with BLM to effectuate change, no?

6 Likes

California passed gun laws to stop the Black Panthers from open carrying in the '60s

11 Likes

These things just piss me off.

In our neighborhood, a mentally ill man was executed by the police last month. He had a shovel.

6 Likes

The NRA is still a thing?

I look forward to the day when I can say that with a greater degree of seriousness.

If he had been white, I’m still not sure they would have done anything because of how many police members they have, and how busy they are containing their dumpster fires. But also, if he had been white this wouldn’t have happened; either the shooting wouldn’t have, or the charges would have.

3 Likes

Well, that’s my rage before bedtime sorted. Hopefully the sleeping pills will kick in, so I can get some sleep. I wonder how Mercadal and Robinet sleep?

7 Likes

No charges for cops who killed Stephon Clark, an unarmed black man

14 Likes

Yes, the NRA is still a thing. A very effed up thing.

5 Likes

white cop tears

8 Likes

I’m cautiously semi-hopeful about that particular case’s outcome.

5 Likes

I can’t watch. I had to turn it off.

“No police officer wants to shoot an innocent person.” Shit, did you poll your colleagues on that one? Did they laugh when you asked?

Sorry, even if she has genuine remorse, you simply don’t get to walk into someone else’s home and shoot them without consequences. No way.

11 Likes