No Country for Old Men came out on this day in 2007

Originally published at: No Country for Old Men came out on this day in 2007 | Boing Boing

Lovely end credits music. Released as a free download.

Much has been written about that in particular.
https://disquiet.com/2007/12/03/mp3s-of-13rd-of-carter-burwells-no-country-score/

3 Likes

Bardem gets most of the credit for creepy acting here, but the other actor is also excellent conveying the bewilderment and nervousness that goes along with it.

4 Likes

Classic “crime don’t pay” movie, got’a watch it again.

It’s hard for me to say which is my favorite Coen Brothers movie. Even if you specify comedy vs. drama you come up against something like “Fargo” which straddles that line. I watched “Blood Simple” again recently, their first film, and it still holds up (and has a lot of the standard Coen Brothers tricks, including a voice-over at the beginning just like “No Country For Old Men”)

1 Like

When I saw this movie in February of 2008, I wrote about it that despite who the film mostly follows around, despite who the action starts and ends with, the story is about the man in the middle. The key to understanding this film is in the beginning voice-over, though most people won’t remember what he says.

The crime you see now, it’s hard to even take its measure. It’s not that I’m afraid of it. I always knew you had to be willing to die to even do this job. But, I don’t want to push my chips forward and go out and meet something I don’t understand. A man would have to put his soul at hazard. He’d have to say, “O.K., I’ll be part of this world.”

1 Like

Joel and Ethan Coen, not Cohen

Sincerely,
That Guy

9 Likes

Aw, can’t forget to post this trivia item -

In the novel, Sheriff Bell says of the dope-dealers, “Here a while back in San Antonio they shot and killed a federal judge.” Cormac McCarthy set the story in 1980. In 1979, Federal Judge John Howland Wood was shot and killed in San Antonio by Texas free-lance contract killer Charles Harrelson, father of Woody Harrelson (Carson Wells).

10 Likes

Whhaaaaa???

Wow, leaned something new every day!

I did like this movie. Cohen Bros. usually make a good film.

1 Like

Thank you.

Holy shit!

A wise choice for your first rated R movie, @dnealy . Mine was Raising Arizona, which I went into blind, not knowing what the Coen brothers were capable of, nor who Nicholas Cage or Holly Hunter were. I have yet to be disappointed by any of their cinematic endeavors.

Editing to clarify I have not been disappointed by the Ethan and Joel Coen. I don’t go to any Michael Bay movies, and haven’t seen much of Holly Hunter’s work outside of the Coen movies.

1 Like

My first Rated R movie was House. Probably not a horrible first Horror movie - it had some humor mixed in with what was fairly scary monsters at the time.

One of the most amazing things about this scene is that it illustrates the character’s evil by showing an act of mercy that makes no sense whatsoever.

Think about it. You’ve killed a sheriff’s deputy and then a motorist, whose car you are now driving on the way to a $2m job that you know will involve killing more people. In the absolute middle of nowhere, a gas station attendant makes a point of telling you they’ve seen you, seen your vehicle, seen the direction you came from and speculate where you are going.

If you are that guy, you would kill the attendant without ado. You would be out of your mind to let him live.

Not this fucking weirdo, though.

8 Likes

The first R-rated movie I saw in a theater without an adult was Wolf with Jack Nicholson. Huge disappointment. Most boring werewolf movie ever made.

1 Like

So what’s with all these “on this day” articles. Is BB starved for content?

I mean, I like Coen brothers movies and all, but the useful content of this post pretty much ended with the headline, didn’t it?

" He’s a peculiar man. You could even say that he has principles. Principles that transcend money or drugs or anything like that. He’s not like you." --Carson Wells.

1 Like

Well, we all learned Woody’s dad was a hitman

3 Likes

Definitely the darkest of the three films in the “Old Men” trilogy.

9 Likes

Did the author see it at the Cannes film festival? Because its US release date was in November.

2007 was a hell of a year for movies.

No Country for Old Men, There Will Be Blood, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Zodiac, Superbad…

Good times, man, good times.