Sound guy helps Javier Bardem with his lines

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/28/sound-guy-offers-to-help-javie.html

5 Likes

There’s more!

6 Likes

I remember seeing the movie when I didn’t know who Bardem was or that he’s only 5’-5" or so. Dude knows how to project menace.

6 Likes

One of the best scenes with one of the best badguys.

5 Likes

So, so good!

3 Likes

That’s his lucky coin! He shouldn’t just put it in his pocket to rattle around with the other coins, and not just because it’s his lucky coin. It’s also a silver quarter, and is worth several dollars.

2 Likes

Well, if you do it becomes just a coin…

… which it is.

2 Likes

Those could very well be the two greatest films of the 21st century so far. Paul Blart: Mall Cop is a close third.

3 Likes

I haven’t seen many things with Kevin James, but of the ones I have, I do like his “hapless everyman”.

1 Like

Well, don’t take my response as an endorsement of Paul Blart. I haven’t seen it and I am going to keep assuming I don’t need to.

1 Like

jesus, that scene scares the shit out of me every time.

According to IMDB, that’s 5’ 11", although Tom Cruise is probably also 6’ 6" on there! :wink:

2 Likes

Kevin James?? Don’t care to watch after he made the Covid overreaction short, wait… that was also my feeling before pandemic so I guess nothing has changed.

This film haunts me… keep watching it again and again… don’t know what it is

2 Likes

It’s a really excellent book, as well.

1 Like

Maybe the utter pointlessness of it…we’re lead all the way through to think there’ll be some retribution, and there is, kind of, but it’s just a terrible accident.

The violence seems pointless to us, but that’s the moral of the story. It’s about the inability to understand and function in systems where we refuse to lower ourselves to the system’s level. It’s their “country”. The Sheriff says it pretty well in the book:

“Somewhere out there is a true and living prophet of destruction and I don’t want to confront him. I know he’s real. I have seen his work. I walked in front of those eyes once. I won’t do it again. I won’t push my chips forward and stand up and go out to meet him. It ain’t just bein older. I wish that it was. I can’t say that it’s even what you are willin to do. Because I always knew that you had to be willin to die to even do this job. That was always true. Not to sound glorious about it or nothin but you do. If you ain’t they’ll know it. They’ll see it in a heartbeat. I think it is more like what you are willin to become. And I think a man would have to put his soul at hazard. And I won’t do that.”

You can’t be above a system and think you can understand it, or triumph over it. Llewelyn takes the money from the drug dealers, dipping his foot into their system, but he is a kind person. If he had been one of them, he would have never gone back, but he did, taking the water to the dying man, and in that moment, it was basically over.

Later we find out the money had a transmitter in it anyway, so just involving himself by taking the money was probably enough of a curse. He continued to the end pretending he could out-do the villian, but he wasn’t a villian, and only a villian really could.

Well put. I read the book after seeing the movie, and indeed it explains what the title means. I’d never read McCarthy’s stuff before, and was impressed with what a scene-by-scene depiction of the book, with its geology-only descriptive paragraphs and straightforward story-telling, the movie succeeds at being.

1 Like

If you haven’t read The Road, it is a great book. Blood Meridian is amazing also, but a traumatic read. It has a villain that makes Chigurh look like a Disney character.

Thanks I’ll go to the book.

It’s the pneumatic sound of the humane killer and the scuff marks on the floor… not sure I want to understand this

1 Like