No identity theft protection for latest Facebook hack victims

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/10/15/no-identity-theft-protection-f.html

1 Like

My guess is their excuse is that all the information could be collected by public records or by talking to people (no SSN, credit card, etc.).

Once upon a time it was very expensive to “mine” the data of an individual. Data is a little like plastic now- super cheap and all over the place!

3 Likes

But isn’t “identity theft protection” pretty much a sham anyway?

1 Like

This blows me away:

No shiteyes, I deleted my Facebook account last month for precisely this reason. And now you won’t tell me if I was affected unless I resurrect my account? [TABLEFLIP]

4 Likes

Their caring was a facade from the very beginning.

1 Like

Their business model has always been to extract this information and sell it, it’s really quite understandable that they don’t consider someone else doing the same a serious infraction. All they seem to care about is that someone is stealing from their bottom line, not the users.

1 Like

If only there were another way to maintain minimal engagement with relatives/friends so I wouldn’t have to worry about seeing them as much #IntrovertProblems

2 Likes

Good insight. The company culture is so pervasive that it can’t help but bleed out into everything they do.

Ugh, totally. I miss the real, genuine sharing from my friends and family a lot. The ugly, lie sharing, gullible, right wing asshole-edness stupidity, not at all.

I can’t even cut a onion without thinking about the stupid article my aunt posted about how “onions draw toxins out of the air, so never use a cut onion more than x hours old, blah blah blah.” Or the one about how Oklahoma is a model state, run by Republicans. The incurious minds of the general public bring me close to despair sometimes.

Yeah, that’s why I block a lot of my relatives feeds; save sanity. Fortunately my Mum’s usually safe, so I can comment on her stuff to maintain visibility with the rest :B

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.