No jail time for cop convicted of rape

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/04/rapistcop.html

9 Likes

I guess the answer is to reserve a wing just for criminal cops.

Problem solved.

49 Likes

“We can’t send cops to prison! That’s a death sentence!”
Oh, well, maybe we should work to reduce violence in prisons then…
“We can’t coddle those people!”

46 Likes

For that matter (and not to disagree with the above) is home confinement not a thing in Texas? (Googles it) Offhand, it looks like it is. Seems like the guy’s sentence was even more lenient than ostensibly justified by the argument given for it.

12 Likes

In Coker v. Georgia (the case that eliminated the death penalty), the majority stated:

Rape is without doubt deserving of serious punishment; but in terms of moral depravity and of the injury to the person and to the public, it does not compare with murder,” wrote Supreme Court Justice Byron White in his 1977 Coker v. Georgia majority opinion. “Life is over for the victim of the murderer; for the rape victim, life may not be nearly so happy as it was, but it is not over and normally is not beyond repair.

Does it not then follow that if death is not a certainty, an officer must be sent to prison just as any other sex offender, gang member, entitled white woman or other person who may be unpopular in prison?

Keep in mind that the Fourteenth Amendment (equal protection clause) states “nor shall any State […] deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws”.

Equal doesn’t always mean fun, positive outcomes :sunglasses:

12 Likes

The justice systems and police entitlement is a top issue to deal with.

5 Likes

Remember stories like these when the Police Benevolence Association calls for donations. Their union is the reason they are almost impossible to punish. Most police departmemts get insainly sweet provisions like the right to see any and all evidence against them before their first questioning. For the rest of us, that interrogation room is full of traps, and deceit. For them its a cakewalk they already prepared for.

12 Likes

Perhaps he could be kept in solitary confinement for the duration of his sentence. You know, for his own safety.

24 Likes

So what this says to me is if you want to commit rape become a cop, because it becomes impossible to go to jail.

What the fuck kind of reasoning or justice is this? This basically creates an entirely new class of criminal with immunity from prosecution!

Police should be held to the law the same as anyone else, or more- I’m fucking sick of this shit. This judge should be removed from office, and this rapist cop thrown in jail. This is exactly why people in jail and people outside jail hate the police in the first place- they get treated like they are immune to the law

12 Likes

I’m wondering what kind of punishment he’d get if he commits another rape while on probation.

Perhaps Dean Wormer has a “solution.”

5 Likes

At the rate we are going, if they start building a jail to exclusively house convicted law enforcement, I think they might have it about a third full or more by the time it’s finished…

4 Likes

If such a project were undertaken, it would never be fully finished. New funding would always be found for ongoing renovations and improvements, like a day spa and a smoothie bar.

Maybe cops should rememer that old adage: “Don’t do the crime if you can’t do the time.” They deserve no more consideration than any other criminal from the justice system. Otherwise, justice is NOT served.

5 Likes

We’re going to need a bigger wing.

4 Likes

I support unions, but the Police Union needs to die in a fire.

5 Likes

They deserve extra scrutiny for the abuse of their authority.

2 Likes

Also:
“The death penalty is a powerful deterrent!”
“So it should stop cops from committing crimes, then?”
“Errr…”

7 Likes

So let’s see. Cops are supposed to uphold the law. Not break it. Cops should be held to a higher standard of the law, yet get off with no prison time because they put people in prison … I feel that this sends a message to cops that they can do anything,especially violence against women and children and anyone they want to,and have basically immunity from punishing them because they would be scared in prison. What about the victim?? She has to live her whole life now punished by the cop while he sits at home? Our justice in this country is about JUST US

5 Likes

I thought there were specialized custody cell blocks at a number of prison facilities to house those who would be at risk in general populace (ie. snitches, pederasts, and LEOs). Can’t they send him to one of those?

Anyhow.
He found her by responding to a domestic violence call where she was the victim. This woman was in a distressed and vulnerable place. Sounds to me like that would be very attractive to a predator who can abuse his position of trust and authority. Probation for that?

8 Likes

At least qualified immunity didn’t forestall the conviction. Baby steps, people - baby steps.

1 Like