No more car sickness with Bonine tablets

Indeed. I’d take Ginger for a three hour tour in rough seas any day…

ginger dancing

5 Likes

Not really, you covered the basics. I am pretty lenient with benadryl, but agree under 2 it’s a no go.

4 Likes

It’s not just good for motion sickness but also for general nausea. I learned this when I was very ill a few years ago and waiting for my prescription at the pharmacy. I was deteriorating rapidly and just wanted to get home before I puked/passed out, but the anti-nausea medicine I was prescribed wasn’t available. The pharmacist recommended OTC bonine and it kicked in right away.

9 Likes

Although it might be too intense for young kids, ginger works great, with no worries about side-effects. Car sickness, sea sickness, chemo-induded nausea. Almost as good as Zofran, without worrying about sedation or prescriptions.

7 Likes

I think this is likely the case. Anecdotally, our family would always cross Missouri to get to Kentucky from Kansas, and my half brothers would barf every single time while I was able to read while riding in the car with no ill effects.

2 Likes

Also ginger is delicious!

Emma Stone Food GIF

8 Likes

From what I’ve figured out (and I get motion sick pretty easily), it has to do with a disconnect between what the eyes see and what the body feels.

So if the eyes are focused on a stable image - think of a person in a car looking at a phone or reading a book - but the body can feel the motion of the car, the brain creates nausea to point out the incongruity. The same holds true for a person in an airplane, when they can feel the plane move, but have no visual horizon to show the eyes what is causing the movement.

It also works in reverse: if I play a video game with a strong sense of motion (particularly in the first person) but my body isn’t detecting any actual motion, it makes me feel like vomiting.

1 Like

I had to fly a couple of weeks ago for my daughter’s wedding, and I get motion sick easily, so I purchased some Sea Bands bracelets to try them out. I’m not a follower of accupressure/accupuncture, so I didn’t expect much. But they worked really well! (Or the placebo effect worked really well!)

Our flight from Seattle to Chicago had lots of turbulence, which the captain warned us about before take-off, and I’ll be a monkey’s uncle if I didn’t get even slightly woozy. I will definitely use them again in the future. No pills, no upset stomach, no drowsiness. Just indentations in the wrists that disappear an hour or so after the bracelets are removed.

One theory I heard, from someone in the astronaut program, is that humans evolved eating a variety of unfamiliar and sometimes dangerous plants. Many plant-based poisons affect the inner ear, causing dizziness and loss of balance. When motion causes the fluid in the inner ear to swirl around and produces these same symptoms, the brain interprets that as poisoning and responds by emptying the stomach.

6 Likes

interesting theory. agree that inner ear fluid “turbulence” is basis for motion sickness and can be debilitating, even.

this I can also confirm after those missing days in Oaxaca after too much mezcal. laid out flat while room spins. while I don’t get seasick, alcohol from agave (tequila, mezcal) will put me down.
hmmm… next time in La Crucecita, maybe some bonine before venturing out on the town?

4 Likes

The way I heard this theory explained was that one of the plant toxin actions is that of creating an abnormal disconnect between the visual reference frame and the “gravity-vector” indication coming from the inner ear. Anything that causes these to appear to be out of sync can trigger the purge response.

There’s a related explanation for why vomiting can be contagious - especially in kids, that in pre-historical life in a hunter-gatherer context - it’s likely that a group of humans may have ingested the same potentially toxic berries or what-not.

3 Likes

I don’t know.
I tried while my son was in the driver’s seat and it did not work at all.

1 Like

TIL that Nytol, Dramamine and Benadryl are all basically the same drug.

It largely depends on the size and construction of the boat.
For the smaller craft with an outboard motor and no dry space I could see that be an issue.
For the “larger craft” with separate wet and dry areas, and with wet areas that can be easily rinsed down while afloat with a bucket or hose, minimal worries, just flush the yuck to the exit gate, and maybe another splash to get rid of the “racing stripes” on the side of the boat. Most commercial lobster/fishing/diving boats are built with that in mind as dealing with game is inherently messy anyways.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.