No more car sickness with Bonine tablets

Originally published at: No more car sickness with Bonine tablets | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Cola syrup worked for my car sickness when I was little.

6 Likes

What’s up with the asterisk? What dangers lie in wait?

3 Likes

Roller coaster ride tested!

6 Likes

Quite a few years ago, I discovered, in the middle of a choppy boat ride, that I could get seasick. :nauseated_face: The boat captain’s wife had some Bonine and gave it to me; after that, I was fine. It works, and it’s available over the counter.

Roger that!

9 Likes

This brought up memories of the 80s “Revive with Vivarin” commercials, like the two truck drivers out on a 84 hour long haul before all the party pooper regulations for getting enough sleep to remain safe and sane.

Also, if there’s one absolute in this world, it’s that we can trust highly reviewed items on Amazon.

2 Likes

can confirm. bonine is the stuff! keeps woozy mates from ralphin all over me decks when the chop comes up on the water.
also was the choice for keeping my daughter, Princess Pukeahontas, from letting fly in my brand new van way back when she was a tyke.

16 Likes

That was my girlfriend’s nick name in High School, she never missed a chance at the “technacolor yawn”.

8 Likes

Is this better (safer?) than Children’s Dramamine? It works like magic, plus the added bonus that it makes them a little loopy with the car-ride singalongs. The loopiness makes me worry about long-term effects (because a drug can never be just fun…)

1 Like

Ginger will work as well, it helps with nausea from sea sickness or car sickness. A strong ginger beer or ginger snaps do the trick, or taking ginger capsules will work too.

5 Likes

It’s cleaner–less drowsiness and dry mouth.
However, meclizine does not have standardized dosing for kids < 12 y/o. “Ask your physician”
Dramamine is contraindicated in kids < 2 y/o.
People do this and nothing bad happens, but I do not let my toddler have similar drugs (benadryl).

Perhaps there’s a pediatrician around here to expand on this @docosc ?

3 Likes

Is there any explanation for why some people get motion sickness and others don’t?

2 Likes

I’m going to get this because FPS games make me motion sick sometimes, and dramamine makes me loopy.

2 Likes

I’m not a doctor but if someone is concerned about medication side effects just use something natural and known to be effective. ie: Ginger

7 Likes

I second this. Found out about this from Mythbusters and it works wonders (and doesn’t knock me out like Dramamine)

6 Likes

I am a SCUBA diver and many other divers (myself included) are subject to seasickness in rough seas. Meclizine is my go-to for anti-seasickess, and I start with the first dose the night before the trip and one in the morning of the trip. From that my “sea legs” are fully functional.

At the end of the trip, however, if I am in an enclosed space with no view to the outside (eg. a bathroom with no windows), I am convinced that the room is moving, and it takes me about 3-4 days to get my “land legs” back.

A seasick passenger is always welcome on board a boat with dive photographers as the “feeding of the fish” will attract a bunch of fish for some great picture opportunities.

Note: Dramamine Non-Drowsy formula has the same active ingredient (Meclizine Hydrochloride).

3 Likes

It could be the way someone’s brain is processing what they see/feel and having some level of disconnect. When your brain is confused by what the inner ear is picking up motionwise it can cause nausea, it can be seen even in VR games if a motion is too aggressive and your body notices the lack of perceived motion irl. Some people are likely to be wired in a way that they’re more sensitive to motion, though its possible to adjust to it to some extent if exposed to it enough.

There are also experiments you can do where you can give yourself motion sickness by staring at an image that moves a certain way, so actual movement isn’t needed to trigger the reaction.

5 Likes

Provided they make it to the rail, I guess, eh?

1 Like

Sure. I am not pushing pills here. The fewer the better.
I’d add “safe” to the requirements. Any chemical can have adverse effects. After all, strychnine occurs naturally.
In this case, ginger is pretty darn safe in general, but can increase the chance of bleeding for people on certain anticoagulants.

2 Likes

Even for those who can’t take these pills safely, they can still prevent car sickness - just pop the pills into the gas tank, and soon the car will stop moving at all, thus preventing motion sickness!

2 Likes