No More Prizes in Cracker Jack :(

18 Likes

Two bucks for a fruit pie that will put out doesnā€™t sound so bad.

6 Likes

Hostess going toes up a bit ago opened things up for all the local bakeries.
I get either the Safeway store brand or Franz both of which are way cheaper and just as tasty. The hostess ones last I had them were quite devoid of filling and a letdown anyway.

1 Like

Well, thatā€™s it, then. It might as well be Fiddle Faddle!

2 Likes

It has been so long since Iā€™d had Cracker Jack that I had no idea it was mainly sold in plastic bags now, rather than boxes. There is more to this than nostalgia. The idea of packaging a snack in a disposable plastic wrapper is no longer something that I can support. My need to snack is never so great that it outweighs the problems caused by introducing yet another plastic product into the waste stream.

Itā€™s really hard to avoid coming across as somewhat preachy by saying this, but this is the first thing I look for when I buy something, especially something as ephemeral as food. How is it packaged? The less plastic the better.

3 Likes
4 Likes

In 2027, the prize will be a barcode which unlocks your own personal virtual world the size of Neptune with 18 highly detailed intelligent races and continents full of exotic ecosystems and ancient ruins but FUCK THAT I want a plastic ring with a fake emerald.

8 Likes

As a collector of ā€œthingsā€ and a lover of travel, I can honestly say that I agree with you regarding which is superior.

But still ā€¦ as a collector of things, I wish I still had the tiny plastic aircraft carrier that shot even tinier jets via rubber band launcher that I got from a package of sugary cereal circa 1969. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh, man.

We visited our Aunt Gloria one summer, and she bought sugary cereal for us, and THAT was the prize. I figured out how to put it together and she called me an engineer. Promptly lost one of the planes in a hot air register.

6 Likes

Hobbits? Wait, no.

9 Likes

HA! I remember getting that same joke book.

Count yourself lucky. I blinded my mom with a jet, and my little brother choked to death on the aircraft carrier.

2 Likes

I once got a little plastic submarine that would dive and resurface from a box of cereal.

3 Likes

The makers of Playboy and Cracker Jack will have something to talk about while they polish their resumes.

1 Like

And then Chex dropped the mic of digital prizes by including a CD of Chex Quest, the greatest adventure ever known. A total Doom conversion, it was far and above the most entertaining of the digital prizes I ever got.

2 Likes

Captian Crunch, and the baking soda submarine

4 Likes

I never understood how CrackerJack was allowed to have stuff in it but Kindereggs were banned for sale in the USA because of that exact reason long ago

2 Likes

My grandmother collected those for years, and I started my own little collection a while back when I noticed Red Rose was still doing it, since I like to drink tea at work.

They quit didnā€™t they? You can still send away for them with proof of purchase but no longer in the box.

Pretty sure the box Iā€™m going through now had a figurine in it, and the one before it definitely did; maybe my grocery store has some old stock (yikes)? Itā€™s honestly not the greatest tea, so if I have to start mailing in for the figures Iā€™ll probably give it up.