No-one hurt in Massachusetts Satanic Temple bombing

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/09/no-one-hurt-in-massachusetts-satanic-temple-bombing.html

10 Likes

Founded in 2013, the Salem, Massachusetts-based Satanic Temple says it doesn’t believe in Satan

…wanna found me the Church of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost Holy Rood of the Christian Heavenly God Above which is actually an agnostic organization assembled mostly for tax purposes and friday poker nights (“hey! nice robes.”)

needless to say, glad no one was hurt and really hope it stays that way

15 Likes

Ah yes, good Christian folks at work and play.

18 Likes

No-one was hurt

SomeOne was looking out for them. Praise Be!!!

5 Likes

It occurs to me that some people praise both the Christian Bible and the US Constitution yet understand neither. I’m just glad no one was hurt in the particular demonstration of that lack of understanding.

15 Likes

Seems like a nice old building, I hope it wasn’t badly damaged. I get the impression it wasn’t - that an explosive device simply caught on fire on a porch, and did so little damage that it wasn’t until someone stood on the porch that they even noticed.

Someone put a bomb on the porch and it didn’t even go off. Truly, a miracle!

3 Likes

I’ve toyed with the idea of creating the Esoteric Order of Dagon or something similar for the same purposes but honestly don’t have the inclination create let alone join any sort of social organization quasi religious or not. I just don’t like people enough. But those tax exemptions =P

I had a contractor who straight up told me he always claimed 10% of incomes were tithed to a church to avoid taxes. Seemed shady but dunno if the IRS is ever going to chase something like that down.

Also part of me sees paying your tax burden as a social and moral responsibility in what is ostensibly a democratic republic where I have the rights to vote/own property and all that. So the whole exercise of creating your own religion to gain access to special privileges never extends beyond fanciful daydream.

8 Likes

I was going to say Thank God that no-one was hurt, but it would be inappropriate.

2 Likes

Not IRS, but the CRA have asked my wife and I for receipts for charitable giving multiple times. First time for my wife was when she was a student, and the amount was something like $100.

3 Likes

FSM watches over everyone!

8 Likes

Ethics and values have ruined so many money making ideas for my wife and I. We joke about it every time another one pops up in conversation.

3 Likes

:musical_note: Onward Christian assholes…

4 Likes

Everyone’s in favor of “Freedom of Religion” until someone erects a statue of Baphomet.

3 Likes

I’m still in favor of it, even with such a statue. Erect one to the Flying Spaghetti Monster, Bhuvaneswari, Set, or Tezcatlipoca for all I care! (I do care if you start sacrificing living beings to one, however.)

2 Likes

All or none. The ones objecting to Baphomet just want their privilege and are coding it.

For @awfulhorrid

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.