Watch: Coverage of the Satanic Temple gathering in Scottsdale, Arizona

Originally published at: Watch: Coverage of the Satanic Temple gathering in Scottsdale, Arizona | Boing Boing

7 Likes

if any place in the US of A resembles the Hell of lore, it is the “Greater Phoenix Valley of the Sun” of which Scottsdale is a notable inclusion.
Phoenix is a manifestation of the hell realm.

14 Likes

satan GIF

17 Likes

Hail, Satan.

8 Likes

I want that t-shirt

7 Likes

I totally missed this :frowning:

I’m a big fan of the Satanic Temple, and Scottsdale is close to me.

I’m a big supporter of the way they use their status as a recognized church to expose and battle religious hypocrisy.

11 Likes

I want that t-shirt

Then today is your lucky day: Hail Satan Black on Red T-Shirt - TST

4 Likes

No orgies? No Satan? But what am I going to do on Tuesday nights? Go to the local restaurant for whatever Tuesday theme that they run?

2 Likes
2 Likes

Calling themselves “The Satanic Temple” when they don’t actually worship Satan is some next level trolling. As you can see, this guy immediately jumps to the wrong conclusions. But I guess calling yourself “The Church of the Bogeyman” (or “Flying Spaghetti Monster”, or “Subgenius”) would immediately reveal it was a joke, nobody would take you seriously.

So . . . good.

3 Likes

uhm…

The Satanic Temple, often abbreviated TST, is a nontheistic religious…

isn’t worshiping satan as one’s god being a theist as theist is Greek for a believer in god (any god)? and religionem… oh well, t’hell with it

They’re not worshipping satan.

6 Likes

From Wikipedia.

The Satanic Temple does not believe in a supernatural Satan; instead it employs the literary Satan as a metaphor to promote pragmatic skepticism, rational reciprocity, personal autonomy, and curiosity.[8]Satan is thus used as a symbol representing “the eternal rebel” against arbitrary authority and social norms

6 Likes

kewl. so what’s the name of the temple to satan which worships satan? (father o’ lies! ruler of demons, angel of the abyss, deceiver of the world, the republican party…)

1 Like

Temple of Set, I think.

2 Likes

Members of the Satanic Temple align themselves with an ideology, whatever they think Satan represents, rather than actually worship a higher being. That’s not really trolling. But they can demonstrate, repeatedly, what legitimate epic trolling actually looks like. :grinning:

5 Likes

Well, not the other big Satanic sect, the Church of Satan. I think they worship Ayn Rand, if anything. Father of lies, ruler of demons, deceiver of the world… might you just be referring to regular church? 0_o

2 Likes

Which one?

5 Likes

Yeah, there’s a ton of denominations. I was thinking of the ones that can trace their roots back to the pre-Reformation Catholic church. If their version of the bible is similar, and the belief is that it was divinely inspired, there’s a case to be made for father o’ lies, ruler of hell (of which Satan is merely suffering in along with all the other sinners and only gets an occasional reprieve to help out God in persecuting Job, tempting Jesus, etc.), deceiver of the world, etc.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 Likes