No-one wants to be a small-town cop anymore

Originally published at: No-one wants to be a small-town cop anymore | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Can we put this on bulletin boards everywhere, please? The headline should lead with this!

28 Likes

25 posts were split to a new topic: Small Towns: How Do They Work?

The thin blue slime is getting thinner? That sounds like a net positive.

10 Likes

When towns shut down their police - they turn over responsibility to the state police. I’m not sure that’s an improvement.

10 Likes

Or more typically the county sheriff’s department. But the point is valid that it isn’t as if these places are unpoliced – they are simply policed at a different political level than the local level. So it doesn’t really answer one way or the other whether places can get by without police.

13 Likes

“Dead or alive, Otis, you’re coming with me.”

craiyon_110346_sheriff_andy_griffith_as_robocop

Full Self Policing should be working next year.

5 Likes

Almost as if “defund the police” is not insane.

4 Likes

Redirect those funds to low-cost housing or education if you want the crime rate to not just stay even but go down.

10 Likes

They’re unable to pay the salaries that potential officers expect, goes the reportage, with the implicit suggestion that municipalities should be turning over yet more of their budgets to law enforcement.

I mean, the cracks are going to continue to form at the state level, because somehow some folks believe you can have protection/investigation without having to pay taxes for it. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

@beschizza Did you mean to say it didn’t go up?

1 Like

There are a few notorious towns out there known for speed traps where the police are actually big revenue generators for the city budget. Waldo, FL used to get about 3/4 of its municipal budget paid for with traffic fines. It was so blatant that the AAA put up billboards outside of the town warning about the speed traps. But apparently that police force has now been disbanded too:

3 Likes

Oh, I know. I used to live and work out that way (near Sonny’s BBQ off Waldo Road). It was alarming how short the distance was for the speed limit change.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.