Originally published at: No posthumous pardon for George Floyd | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Can Biden pardon him?

1 Like

Not for state crimes.

3 Likes

Hopefully Beto, then.

7 Likes

I can’t get too worked up over not posthumously pardoning someone.

1 Like

Cecily Strong Season 44 GIF by Saturday Night Live

13 Likes

“ But posthumous ones can show that discredited values of the past are no longer the values of the present.”

I think I see the problem here.

6 Likes

The ‘Vision Statement’ of the TBPP:
The Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles, guided by sound application of the discretionary authority vested by the Constitution of the State of Texas, shall:

Render just determination in regard to parole release and revocations, thereby maximizing the restoration of human potential while restraining the growth of prison and jail populations;

Impose reasonable and prudent conditions of release consistent with the goal of structured reintegration of the offender into the community; and,

Resolutely administer the clemency process with recommendation to the Governor fully commensurate with public safety and due consideration.

I don’t see much in the way of ‘just determination’ or ‘due consideration’ in this decistion.
No big surprise; maybe Beto could use this as a talking point since:
Board Members are appointed by the Governor
and he could replace the majority of the board during his first term.

2 Likes

Putting the ass in Texas.

6 Likes

Probably explains why the pardon didn’t pass muster; conservatism is counter revolutionary in spirit

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.