No such thing as Bernie Bros: Bernie's approval rates are women 50%, blacks 70%, latinx 55%; men 46%, whites 43%

Oh, thanks Subconscious. I really needed you to ask me “What’s better about any significant fraction of 62 million Americans being so financially screwed that they see tearing down our political system as preferable to the status quo?”

2 Likes

It was never an honest criticism, frankly, so the parameters morphed constantly.

Bernie had a disproportionate number of those supporters, though it honestly had less to do with him as a candidate and more to do with the fact that the misogynist segment of the Democratic base had no one else to support.

I was going off memory and Twitter, but a bit of digging shows that it’s less clear than I thought.

Wiki says Meyer is the source of the actual wording, Greenwald suggests Nussbaum as the re-populariser.

3 Likes

That’s an assertion you are very likely be unable to support with any real data, point of fact. Care to try? I warn you, no one has managed to do it yet.

2 Likes

Another big mistake I see here, is assuming all Sanders supporters were Democrats. Untrue! In fact, Bernie polled lower than HRC with Democrats; the lions’ share of his support was with independent voters, as well as up to 15-25% of the GOP (depending on which poll you care to believe ^^’)! No, those people weren’t otherwise going to vote for Hillary, fond wishes otherwise aside.

Remember, folks, both the Dems and GOP EACH enjoy the support of roughly 1/4 of the country; independent voters comprise about 43% of the voter base, something neither party likes to admit.

2 Likes

7 Likes

And neither of those is Brock. And Greenwald’s basic point is that all candidates have asshole supporters. The biggest thing of all is that acknowledging the term means nothing whatsoever outside of saying some people that supported Bernie were not pure in their intent. I mean, that you brought up Brock to discredit experiences of people who are not just writers and media people says a lot about the situation that has persisted well over a year past the election ending… says a lot about the situation in general.

Also, Emily Nussbaum tweeted about it.

I think, if studied, the online “bernie bro” troll phenomenon would be found to have been part of the Russian interference.

1 Like

Quite likely largely true, although of course not exclusively so. There really are always a few bad apples in the bushel.

Certainly exacerbated by them, although the phenomenon started with some own goals right here at home.

OK, it took me a while to get to this.

If a Bernie Bro. is someone who switched parties then I have to conclude that that persons criteria was that the WH needed to be held by an outsider. Someone holding that corruption was our countries biggest problem in 2016. Now look what we’ve got.

Any BBs on BB, how’d I do?

Is this “anyone” conversation gonna be on the LSAT?

Likely not, considering the entire subthread was deleted.

Or maybe that is WHY it was deleted…

Yeah, that was a straight brainfart on my part. I’d misremembered posts that used the hiring of Brock for an appeal-to-hypocrisy critique of the Bernie Bro smear as a claim that he was the originator. Posted in a hurry while getting ready for work, so I didn’t double-check the recollection as I normally would have.

Mea culpa.

4 Likes

It’s not your fault honestly, I know you and I try to pick this stuff apart which is why I was blunt.

2 Likes

How do you pronounce “latinx”??

“la-TEEN-ex”.

2 Likes

… in a poll comparing him to Oprah and whoever that is. This is a little like concluding that liberals love being punched in the head because they prefer that to a Trump presidency.