No tubes for you, komrad

Originally published at: No tubes for you, komrad | Boing Boing

3 Likes

No tubes for you, komrad.

6 Likes

Vaguely related to this, electronic hobbyists (of a steampunk bent) like to build things with Nixie tubes.
Guess where the source of most Nixie tubes seem to be? yep… odd sources in Russia. ah well.

3 Likes

Oh man, I hope someone invents the transistor soon! :wink:

12 Likes

There’s an absolutely amazing artisanal vacuum tube manufacturer in Czech Republic:
https://www.daliborfarny.com/

6 Likes

They did and everyone but The Beatles, Robby Krieger and Dimebag Darrell said, “No Thanks.”

2 Likes

And half of those people are now DEAD! Coincidence :thinking:??

5 Likes

I assume these threads will get merged at some point, but until then, a shameless cross-post:

7 Likes

Long Live the Roland Jazz Chorus!

Back in my younger days, I did a lot of mountaineering and ice climbing. Before the Soviet Union fell apart, ice screws cost about $60. After the Soviets started selling off all their excess titanium, you could get titanium ice screws for $10 each.

3 Likes

Most old Nixie tubes are old Soviet stock. I have a whole bunch that a friend bought for me at a Russian electronics flea market many years back. Sadly they are the smaller more common IN-12 size. The large and majestic IN-18 ones that everybody wants are extremely rare and expensive these days.

Outside of a couple of boutique houses (I think there’s one in the Czech Republic and another in Belarus) there’s nobody making these anymore.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.