Noam Chomsky takes ten minutes to explain everything you need to know about the Republican Party in 2019

oh give me a fucking break - this is history at this point. I used to keep a list of links to disclosures that showed the DNC broke its own rules coordinating information with the clinton campaign. Frankly I don’t care if you want to keep your head up your ass on this, but don’t be surprised if the DNC chokes another election into trumps hands.

8 Likes

Worth mentioning that Trump and his allies have pushed this “Sanders got screwed over by the DNC” narrative quite a bit too.

Here’s a good example:

If you just read the headline, it confirms a narrative you are already primed to believe. But if you actually READ the article – critically – you can see there is zero evidence the DNC actually did anything to “screw” him over.

PS I was a Bernie supporter in 2016 (and still am)
(ETA: to be more precise, I’ve been a Bernie fan long since before the 2016 election…)

6 Likes

Super surprised after decades in the wilderness that Dr. Chomsky now has a voice. Have all the nincompoops that could not understand the difference between Zionism and Semitism been transported to another reality? Shiva be praised.

3 Likes

SO the Russians didn’t help trump win… but the DNC did help Hillary win. Hm. I find it funny that someone can dismiss one form of propaganda while crediting another in election outcomes. Personally I think Hillary was a flawed candidate because she had 20 years of right wing radio and Fox News hate prepping people against her. But I also think those last minute DNC leaks confirmed that hate for people.

5 Likes

Perhaps partially true, but he’s missing the effect of the internet in encouraging radicalization. Also, the entire system in the US emphasizes fringe candidates over mainstream ones. Any candidate not “pure” enough will be outflanked by a more pure candidate on the further extreme in primaries. It’s one reason why the parties are moving further apart.

I’m not saying that this effect is equal in both parties, but only that you can see it in both parties.

3 Likes

Its telling that Chomsky says nothing about all the other ways Trump has broken the law… the Pelosy democrats are not going to go after Trump for anything other than russian collusion. And we can argue ourselves blue in the face, about the effects of russian collusion, while ignoring all the other ways in which Trump is violating the constitution that he pinky-swore to uphold.

While the republicans need to keep ammosexuals and anti-abortionists on board with what the 1% want, all the Pelosicrats and Clintoncrats need to do, is weakly protest that Trump isn’t playing by the rules, and thats all a reasonable democrat can ever hope for from their party.

As long as they can keep a genuine progressive wing under some kind of control, they might reasonably wring a 51% victory over Trump in 2020. Otherwise, they’ll have to suffer a humiliating 49% defeat under the republicans… so the left had better shape up, 'cause thats all we got to hope for.

3 Likes

The democrats are requesting financial records from trump as we speak. Unfortunately as long as republicans control the senate and Mitch controls the republicans, impeachment is unlikely for any reason. The only hope is to vote him out. And I could do without the democratic infighting. I’m more optimistic when I hear what the democratic candidates are saying on the trail. They are focused on a wide range of issues besides trump/Russia

3 Likes

No, “entire building” means entire building:

Like WMD

It’s not “like” WMD at all. WMDs did not exist in Iraq. A coordinated, organized state attack on American democracy, however, is ongoing by Russian FSB and GRU. Going out on a limb? No, you cut off the limb and landed into a crevasse.

Secondly, the evidence points not to a hack, but a leak

And your source is…

21st Century Wire is a conspiracy and conjecture site run by Patrick Henningsen. Henningsen has ties to both Infowars and Alex Jones, also known for fake news and broad conspiracies. They also seem to have ties to, or at least to be pro-Russian in much of their content. Specifically Russian Today (RT) the state run Russian news outlet

Their stories are non-sourced, with no links except to their own stories, and are little more than loosely associated facts tied together with broad conjecture and innuendo. When trying to research some of their claims myself I could find no corroboration from a credible source. Ironically, they are currently in a self proclaimed war against “Fake News”, and the site features several stories on the subject. These war on “fake news” stories, as with their other content, contain little fact and lots of conjecture, with links to their other stories instead of links to external sources. I have provided a breakdown of one of their stories below.

Third, hardly anybody ever talks about the contents of the “hacked [leaked] emails”. The actual contents of those emails showed that the DNC “tipped the scales” (i.e, cheated) in selecting Hillary over Bernie.

So you protest (too much, methinks) that you’re not a “Putin puppet”, yet then you follow the Russian (or, to be fair, disgruntled Bernie supporter) playbook to a tee.

11 Likes

I’m sick of Chomsky. I’ve listened to twenty years of him explaining how things are. Right now I’m doubting his accuracy and analysis. What bothers me most is that he will go on explaining things and he ends with, “It’s going to take a lot of work.” He has not offered any meaningful strategy or tactics to make meaningful and lasting change. Thanks for the analysis but no thanks. Come with a plan or don’t come at all.

4 Likes

As far as Netanyahu’s doubtful influence, that – especially alongside a sufficient number of similarly small effects – could influence very close elections.

Which is why Israel does not rely merely upon occasional cameos from Netanyahu, but also pumps vast amounts of cash into US lobbying and think tanks.

As does Saudi Arabia, as does the UAE, as do a bunch of other countries.

Yup.

7 Likes

Here’s a plan: lets elect Joe Biden! Then everything will be better! (It actually will, because “better” is currently a pretty damn low bar to clear) Anybody who doesn’t agree is a vote-splitting Trump lover! /sarcasm

I agree, listening to Chomsky is pretty depressing. He’s trying to put a brave face on it maybe, but if you follow his logic all the way through, basically he’s saying we’re fucked, I think.

1 Like

VIPS (or part of it, they’ve had intense internal dissent on this topic) has been banging this drum for years. Assuming that they are correct that the leaked DNC documents were at some point on a USB stick that doesn’t strike me as dispositive as they think it is. They also keep banging on about looking at the actual servers, even though to the best of my amateur knowledge forensic images and traffic logs are what’s needed for analysis (and some of the machines involved were Amazon Web Services and so not in the DNC’s physical custody and control). Finally, their assessment that the Guccifer 2.0 files must have been copied locally and not over the internet makes me doubt their conclusions generally as despite what Guccifer 2.0 claimed at least half those documents actually came from John Podesta.

The emails showed that DNC wrokers were less than professional and dissed Sanders in internal emails written after Sanders mathematically could not beat Clinton. It did not show concrete action taken by the DNC against Sanders, and indeed it woud have been very hard for the DNC to have forced a Sanders loss as it did not control the primaries, the caucuses, or voter registration laws, and had kept the delegate allocation rules from 2012.

4 Likes

DON’T BLAME ME!
My Ideology Fits On A Bumper Sticker!

Be right back, starting an Etsy store…

5 Likes

Yes.:grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning:

Is it? Because I read the pertinent leaked emails and the bulk of the coverage seems to agree with what I saw there. A hand full of DNC staffers discussed ways to disadvantage Bernie, then didn’t do those things.

We know from other parts of the leaks, and other sources that the Clinton campaign deliberately softballed their campaign against Bernie in an attempt to avoid alienating his supporters.

Right and targeting Sanders supporters with messages about how they’ve been disadvantaged, and with conspiracy theories about Clinton has likewise been identified as a goal of the Russian dis-info campaign. IIRC the Mueller Report contains that as well. They sought to boost the Sanders Campaign in hopes that it would damage Hillary, and there by boost Trump. And worked on preventing Sanders voters from moving to Hillary and attracting them to Trump.

They spent the last 2 week filing subpoenas having to do with his person finances and business. And have been pressing multiple emoluments lawsuits.

ETA:

This sounds very much like they’re trying to push the Seth Rich conspiracy theory without mentioning Seth Rich.

3 Likes

To return to old news - there we emails that made clear that the DNC coordinated explanations for accusations from the Sanders campaign with Clinton staffers. This was not thought about it and didn’t do it - this was coordinating and working together with one campaign to disadvantage the other.

Remember - the chair was forced to resign over this shit. And now you are like What? Nothing happened… Give me a break.

Its really horrifying to see democrats attempt to institutionally erase this just 3 years later. An institution that fails to learn from its errors is bound to make them again.

3 Likes

But you can’t really offer a comparison like this, between Russian influence and Israeli influence, if you’re not also familiar with the extent and effectiveness of the Israeli influence he’s alluding to. (I’m not.) I gather it’s quite difficult for even real counterintelligence and polling experts to judge the extent and effectiveness of either effort in any detail.

I don’t know how anybody could say “if it existed” at this point, and it’s especially weird coming from Chomsky.

Who thinks there was zero Russian interference in the election?

Glenn Greenwald, I think.

2 Likes