Noam Chomsky takes ten minutes to explain everything you need to know about the Republican Party in 2019

Glenn Greenwald, if he exists.

…again with the sarcasm…

1 Like

Back when the BBC was a news organisation, they ran a fantasy world election, and he did pretty well:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4298568.stm

1 Like

I don’t think he minimized ti to nothing though I do think he put it in perspective when he talked about campaign financing and how big a predictor that is of outcomes.
See, I agree with you that Russian interference is significant, but the thing he points at, power, is not found in subterfuge but in how it can be brazenly wielded without question hence campaign finance.
The irony is that Mr Chomsky would probably be able to do a very interesting analysis of how memes have been weaponized in today’s political climate.

3 Likes

Speaking of the quest for Donnie’s tax returns… I thought I read that the law has a clause that I’ll paraphrase as “If the subject of the request from specific committees does not agreed to release their taxes, the IRS shall deliver same to a closed session of Congress/committees.”

Later… I had to look it up. Below’s the law I think applies (thanks Cornell Law School!); seems pretty clear to me. But I are not a lawyer…

2 Likes

We are only fucked if we make bad choices or do nothing.

We need a Smedley Butler for our generation

The Gracchi gave us a bloody example of what happens to populists who actually try to help the populace rather than dupe them in service to the plutocracy.

That was a very long time ago

1 Like

All that’s missing are government forces who become personally loyal to individual generals/politicians… I guess we’re almost there with USBP and many municipal police forces. Not to mention Eric Prince/Blackwater types…

2 Likes

Not to mention “reality” tv, and pretty much all of the entertainment that has people focused on anything but what is going on around them. At least as far as the circuses go.

As for the bread… all of our fast food and junk food, for as long as it’s affordable/available.

The ancient Romans would marvel at what we’ve accomplished.

2 Likes

The Powell Memo was required reading for a class I took in seminary. I’d never heard of it before and it totally blew my mind! The Room Where It Happens, indeed.

1 Like

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.