Nokia to resurrect classic dumbphone

And it looks like it just worked out the answer to life, the universe and everything!

1 Like

I still have mine in a drawer somewhere. :+1:

I got a blackberry bold 9900 one time after it had been left on the roof of a car in the rain. It flew off in heavy traffic, was run over multiple times and found in a gutter hours later.

The screen was damaged and the we never found the keyboard, but a few parts from ebay and it was running again. This was a delicate blackberry, if it was an 8800 we wouldn’t have seen a scratch.

(My Nokia story is about an 2280 that sat in a pool of vomit overnight and still woke me up for classes in the morning. That’s university for you.)

2 Likes

Your mention of Graffiti led me to check Google Play, and there is a Graffiti input app for Android (Graffiti Pro). I’m going to give it a whirl.

1 Like

That’s my strategy as well. I do enjoy my tablet, but I so rarely find myself somewhere that I want, let alone need a connection and don’t have one that I just can’t see paying the data charges.

This is my phone, and I have no desire to have anything newer:

My only two firm requirements for it were 1) must be compatible with my network, and 2) must allow 24-hour time format display. You’d be surprised how many phones that second one eliminates.

Ah, the things to which I have to look forward. I’m waiting for my new progressive lens glasses (aka “trifocals”) right now. I’ll be picking them up next Monday.

I get this too, and I’ll admit it kind of annoys me to see it, but then I realize that my sweeties and I often spend meals together reading books (like actual dead tree, hard copy versions) while eating together. I do feel like there’s a difference, but I can’t really say what that is, particularly since when I am using my tablet in such a situation, I’m usually reading an ebook!

5 Likes

While seeing groups of people reading their phones has become a sort of emblem of modern society (“so close, but so far away from each other!” etc), I feel like we all have the ability to govern our use of technology and how it impacts us. Owning a smartphone or tablet shouldn’t compel you to have it out in front of you constantly. But honestly, spending time together isn’t somehow lessened by opening a book, turning on a television, watching a film, or pulling out a device to check email.

1 Like

Pretty sure he’s British.

for me and my caveman thumbs, too. Many of us out here are not nimble fingered teens. I’d prefer to have a singe-use device - although I admit it would be nice if they integrated bluetooth into it just so it can integrate with a lot of existing hands free solutions for the car.

Actually, I hope they do that with a dongle. I almost miss a good dongle.

1 Like

I honestly prefer the SE to the bigger phones. But then again, I also have an iPad Air 2 for reading stuff.

1 Like

I think you might want to consider that there are social and non-social ways of using a phone during a group situation.

For example, while waiting for food at a restaurant, my daughters and I will often be engaged in a complex conversation which includes looking things up online to prove a point or show something interesting/weird/funny to each other. When the food comes, there’s a moment of photography to showcase the food for friends/family who aren’t there…and then the phones go away while we’re eating. Meanwhile, we see other families sniping at each other or sitting uncomfortably quiet during the same time frame.

Also, if something comes up during conversation while eating, I’m a firm believer that it’s better to quickly find out the truth and move on than spend the rest of the meal speculating. This is especially important when eating with my mother, who will get increasingly angry as the meal goes on if we don’t agree to blindly believe her take on things (experience has proven that if she says it’s sunny, better bring an umbrella). To my way of thinking, 10 seconds of a Google search is much less rude than an entire meal ruined thanks to 30 minutes of seething anger and cutting remarks.

It’s all in how you use the technology.

12 Likes

This. How is me using a phone/tablet to read an ebook worse than an actual book, or work on a crossword/sudoku which would usually get passed around why is on a screen instead of paper somehow magically worse. Cause this is more or less what my family does as well as just chit chat while waiting.

4 Likes

I’m the opposite. Flip phones “hug” the side of my face like a traditional receiver; slab/smart phones are totally unergonomic. Look how many people hold them edgewise to talk into and switch to “regular” position for listening. Or use those headphones with a mic in the cord, which they put in their mouths because otherwise it feels too far away. So gross.

Also if I happen to get mugged I can sacrifice the $12 dumb phone I only use for talking and they won’t know that I also have a pricey iPhone in my pocket.

3 Likes

Those aren’t opposites; I’d be with you on flip phones having the right shape, but it’s just the flimsiness of the hinge that keeps them from a perfect comfort level.
And I also hate those headphones-with-hanging-mic things.
As I said, the only ones that I’m really talking hate for are little chiclet phones with the mic up on your cheek like the one that’s the subject of the article (I’ll throw in a large-handed person’s complaint about the cramped pinching position needed to hold teensy-phones, regardless of dumbness level, up to my face).

or you could use one of the retro bluetooth headsets

3 Likes

I have one of those. The sound quality sucks, and it’s so flimsy you can’t beat anyone to death with it.

11 Likes

those essential informations are never covered in normal customer reviews. thanks a lot, I nearly made a bad buy.

12 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.