Nokia to resurrect classic dumbphone

Still using my 12-year-old Nokia 1100, for two main reasons: I get a full week of charge and it isn’t internet enabled.
For me, that’s a selling point: just like I don’t drink or smoke, I’ve made the life choice to avoid mobile internet.

That it’s practically bombproof is a bonus. Oh, and it has a torch. :wink:

6 Likes

I’ll never get used to calling a flashlight a torch.

It’s not you. It’s me.

5 Likes

Torch…

6 Likes

I knew what you meant, but I really wanted it to be a torch. Sometimes it’s handy to have a small flame thrower in your pocket.

12 Likes

Ah. Yes. Oops. :wink:

That takes t9 texting to the next level.

2 Likes

Sold!

4 Likes

I have a feeling that a dumbed-down Apple phone would not have a price proportionate with its features (or lack therof).

A flip-phone has a cool, classic Star Trek tri-corder vibe.

5 Likes

I have a Moto G with a prepaid $10/month plan. Data is $0.06/mb, so I only turn the network data on when I really need it, sorta like an internet payphone. I must say it’s been a lifesaver on a number of occasions having that option, sometimes even just to check the traffic map for backups or accidents.

I used to carry a flip phone and a Rockboxed Sansa mp3 player, but now just the smartphone and bluetooth headphones. Wish they would port Rockbox to Android, it’s hard to find apps with all that functionality.

1 Like

Battery replacement on my 5 was not that bad to do and you can use electrical tape to help keep the screen on. In fact if the screen is being pushed out then your battery may be swelling. I had those problems and kept my 5 alive until I got my 7+ last fall.

In my case it’s a slightly bent case that’s causing the screen to be slightly separated.

1 Like

I couldn’t stand phones like this; the size made me super-uncomfortable, with the puny teensiness of the thing placing the mic so far from my mouth.
I know they were designed to work perfectly this way, but I could just never get used to it, and I still think the single best thing about giant smartphones is that it feels more like a “proper” phone-holding position the way the speaker & mic are closer to the traditional positions in relation to the ear & mouth.
Just looking at this picture makes me twitch.
Flip phones are a bit better, but then the flimsiness produces its own discomfort.
Seriously, if I wanted to avoid features that I thought were insecure, I’d probably still go with a smartphone with all the stuff you’d think I’d bought it for disabled, just to have a mobile phone that reaches a decent distance across the side of my face.

1 Like

My father accidentally left one of those on the roof of his car once only to return an hour or so later to try and find it where he thought it had spun off onto the road, i was with him so i called the number to try and locate it and sure enough there it was happily ringing as if nothing had ever happened. It must’ve hit the road at about 40-50mph. When human civilization is just so much dust the planet will be left with cockroaches and nokia 3310s

6 Likes

Let’s see:

• The display is low-res and knows it’s low-res, so it doesn’t try to overwork itself
  • There are no cutesy interface gimmicks that I keep triggering without intending to
  • Butt dialing (and butt emailing, and butt texting) is impossible
  • The buttons are always in the same place
  • I can actually feel the buttons
  • The phone never thinks I’m texting about proteins in German unless I’m actually texting about proteins in German

T9 wins. Every time.

3 Likes

The only thing that would possibly convince me to get a smartphone would be handwriting recognition as good as Palm Graffiti, and yes I’ve tried the Android version, it’s not as good.

On my last phone that had T9 i could type quick enough that the UI would lag and catch up to what i was typing seconds later. Sometimes i could crash the phone doing this. You’d think it’d be annoying but i always got a sense of satisfaction over it :stuck_out_tongue: Thankfully it didn’t happen often.

3 Likes

I bought eight Sansa Clips when I heard they were being discontinued, just so I could have Rockbox for as many years as possible. (And no, I’m not selling any).

NOS Sansa music players now sell for double or more what they cost originally, and I have no doubt that Rockbox is the reason. (the new Sansas cannot be rockboxed)

I suspect that the day I die, I’ll be listening to music or audiobooks on a thirty year old rockboxed Sansa duct taped to a battery pack.

2 Likes

You may be the only person on earth actually nostalgic for writing things in Graffiti versus typing on a keyboard or using Swype.

1 Like

Typing on a physical keyboard?? Great. Typing on an iOS onscreen keyboard?? Graffiti for me every time!

1 Like