Non-newtonian fluid vs hydraulic press

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/20/non-newtonian-fluid-vs-hydraul.html

“wear motorcycle armor”

How does that stack up against the air bag motorcycle gear?

3 Likes

My shoulder, elbow, knee, hip, and tailbone armor is non-newtonian. I wear an airbag that protects chest area and offers neck/head support.

The airbag doesn’t cover everything. I’d like my arms and legs to get what coverage they can too.

The pants I usually wear are 2 layers of kevlar and 1 of really thick denim. The jacket is leather. The helmet a Bell.

My gloves look like I stole Optimus Prime’s hands.

4 Likes

This doesn’t make a lot of sense. The non-newtonian fluid is only going to get “hard” if the object impacts it at high velocity. If something is pushed into it at low velocity, it will just act as a fluid. The press moves too slowly to get a good reaction out of it.

18 Likes

No but it was fun to watch which is more the point of that youtube channel.

8 Likes

More precisely, the point of this particular episode was to get to the “let’s see if things inside a ‘strange balloon’ can stay sufficiently hard” joke.

9 Likes

I think they need something more like a drop forge here.

4 Likes

Not since my 20s anyway.

9 Likes

The hydraulic press channel is always fun for me.
Maybe also because I love that blokes adorable finnish accent.

6 Likes

Pancakes are ready!

Yeah, I never really find myself surprised by these these hydraulic press videos. “Yep, it mashed it!”

I did quite like the paper one, though.

1 Like

yup, a trip hammer would be perfect

1 Like

the slow blade penetrates the shield

5 Likes

“with those balloons things don’t stay hard for the necessary time”

:grin:

2 Likes

That really is the highlight. Those rolling R’s are grrrreat.

One of my earliest favorites on YouTube:

His laughing is so contagious. (Warning he lets a racial slur slip out near the end but there’s no malice in it)

“Where his body has bony extremities, the suit has sintered armorgel: feels like gritty jello, protects like a stack of telephone books.”

1 Like

The dynamics of ‘man-spew-tonian’ fluids.

1 Like

I am kinda fascinated by the final result. How the hell did he manage to press out the water and leave the corn starch? If that is what happened. Love me some nerdy shit!!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.