Nope, men and women aren’t equally sexualized in comics

And being attention “whores” and being irrational is women’s jobs… duh!

5 Likes

I’m waiting for the games journalism angle.

2 Likes

Hey, waitaminnit, did you just call me old?

Now I need to go buy some wrinkle cream or I will no longer be attractive to manly mens.

8 Likes

You are also one of the few sites I don’t block with AdBlock…just because, you know, I want y’all to make some money from me sucking up your bandwidth.

2 Likes

Oh, sorry for the centuries of sociopolitical control of the entire world. Women have made such a mess of things. I mean, you’ve only had political control of the world since the beginning of time… if we’d get back to our places in the kitchen, get to making those babies (as long as they are male babies, cause girl babies are icky) and just accept that men can need to look at female heroes with triple f boobs, we wouldn’t feel so bad.

You’re right about this, though… plenty of women accept the status quo and think it’s fine. They think it’s “empowering” to have men treat them like less than equal. I don’t.

11 Likes

Actually, it’s about ethics in women’s fashion journalism… duh!

9 Likes

I would say, yes. You seem chuffed about being rude and disruptive about sensitive social issues. So, yes, you seem gleeful.

You call the things sacred cows, so, yes, you seem gleeful about your attacks on what YOU say other people think and feel. I am sad for you about your inability to respect opinions you didn’t come up with. Apparenly you might also lack the humility to ask an open question, on top of the projection and personalization.

At the end of the day, I wish you well, but I do not care. Going for a reaction from people you fake any respect for… it will hurt your chances with self-respecting people.

I don’t have to live with you. So I don’t care, but I’d be glad to help you come around to a kinder worldview.

5 Likes

These sorts of things never do, I’m afraid. I seem to be having a nice, civil discussion with disagreements on the issues with @AnonyMouse, but @JollyWombat just can’t be arsed to have a civil discourse about how women are draw in comics. He keeps blaming women for being masters of the universe for the past all of history.

4 Likes

Hi. I disagree.

Women in women’s health magazines are fit, tight an generally athletic, if on the skinnier side of that. That isn’t the complaint here. Fat-shaming and objectifying are related but not the same. If your comparison were accurate, this would be a good comparison, as superheroes should look sporty, as one would expect an athletic-aspirational (to borrow from @Mindysan33 ) image of a women to be. But it’s not. Here we’re talking about women being super chesty, scantily-clad and seductively posed, all in the wrong context.

Down below you also argue about Cosmo, etc… These magazines are explicitly about sex and sex appeal. They appeal specifically to women who are looking for advice on how to be sexy and seductive. The context is more “right” for it. That doesn’t mean that there aren’t complaints to be made about Cosmo et. al. but those complaints are different. Also,m the dudes in cosmo tend also to be sexualized and objectified to please those that like a lithe, shirtless sexyman. In comics this is inappropriate, as the presumptive purpose of each hero is to be battle-ready and strong, not sexy.

Not entirely. It blames the problem on lazy men (and complicit women, if you read between the lines) pandering to an adolescent male audience in the laziest, easiest, and least interesting way. It is about the male gendered ideals dominating the medium (you can see how the sausage party demographics don’t help this any). This is an encouragement to make smarter, more context appropriate characters. Would it be such a disaster if we saw more Ripley and less pseudo-stripper-assasin?

16 Likes

No, I was imagining they likely thought they might find an audience member who might agree with them…

Also, you gals are totally the secret masters. How else do you think the '50’s happened with your bon-bons, pool boys, and home all day with the kids in school? And you threw it all away for “equality” and trying to get the same pay!

4 Likes

Well, they have the one thing he can’t have. So, of course, they are unreasonable.

He has rights. We have responsibilities.

It’s sort of like when the bank won’t give you money, because you never gave the bank any money, and then you get mad about what THEY choose to do with YOUR money.

7 Likes

No - I was just messing around because I couldn’t ‘remember’ the Charles Atlas ads in the way your sentence implied.

Disparity in ‘attractive age’ is another area that I find interesting, because most of my male friends are fixated on 21/22 year old women, whereas I only seem to find women within a narrow band of my own age attractive.

3 Likes

Amusingly, She-Hulk’s character is intelligent, while Hulk is a mindless beast. She’s smart, sexy, and strong, while he is strong, stupid, and ugly. Which do you think is a better ideal?

1 Like

Oh, I think the article seems pretty tight… It’s one complainy dude… A really loud one, but they tend to be loud and complainy.

But maybe they were also hoping to foster a dialog?

2 Likes

Well, we’re only here for male edification, right. We don’t have hopes, dreams, aspirations, feelings, of our own, only in relation to men. So of course we have responsibilites to make HIM feel good… duh!

4 Likes

Why can’t she wear practical clothes? Why does “sexy”-- a specific kind of sexy, no less-- have to be some aspirational goal?

3 Likes

If by “people,” you’re referring to Default Human (ie - a man), then the answer is apparently “sometimes.”

http://www.shortpacked.com/index.php?id=1556

Who the heck is Lysandra? I mean I quite understand false equivalence and all. But if you actually provided a good sample of collected data or something sound. Instead of one lady sample.

That is exactly the point he is trying to make. Along with the side argument that in the last 6 months or so (since BB has started having a lot more contributors) there has been a much larger emphasis on sexism in games, comics, basically anything in the tech/geek area. Now that is somewhat reasonable considering the nature of BB, but at the same time it has started to seem more like the individual contributors are pushing their own agenda toward the audience.

Personally I don’t care about this argument. I care about sexism in the real world, but in a fantasy land I don’t care at all. Much like I don’t loose sleep over the possibility of zombies or aliens cause I saw them on TV or in a book. I don’t care if a comic artist wants to have the characters hyper sexualized…if that’s the problem find artists who don’t. To me it’s wrong to say marketing and drawing these characters in this way is wrong, because it makes “me” feel bad… It’s wrong to tell someone they can’t or shouldn’t because you have an issue with the content of their creation. Or at least that is my opinion.

For some reason to future I envision a lot of you wanting looks like something from THX 1138.

1 Like

So, they are only allowed to write objective pieces? Why is that?

I think there is something between boobs ahoy and a sterile world. Sci-fi/fantasy indeed does help us imagine a future and why not imagine it better and more equitable in order to help us figure out how to do that?

7 Likes