North Carolina's voter suppression law struck down as "racist"

It’s actually the American version of a UK show by the same name.

You should check them out when you have some time.

5 Likes

You might have to show your voter card (no cost, no photo) and you will have to sign your name, which has to match what they have on record, but my state is one of the ones that does not require a photo ID.

In fact, one of my daughters voted in a national election before she ever got a state ID card (not a driver’s license, just the ID), because the state ID was a lot harder to obtain than the voter registration.

16 Likes

Your signature has to match, and once you’ve voted, no one else can vote with that identity. Each polling place has a record of each registered voter for that precinct, and when you come in you and several other people witness the polling person marking off your name from the list.

12 Likes

Is that not an oxymoron redundant?

OK fixed it. Doh!

7 Likes

I think you’re thinking ‘redundant’.

Self-supporting, not self-contradicting. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I think redundant is the word you’re looking for.

ETA @William_Holz beat me to it. I should have known someone would.

5 Likes

Heh.

Great minds think alike!

(and so do we!) :wink:

4 Likes

Others seem to have said a lot, but my state has mail-in ballots that get mailed to your address on file. You’d have to go around and steal a lot of mail without anyone noticing or caring or reporting the missing ballots. And one person could steal only so many ballots and it’s rare that elections are decided by that limited number of votes. It’s just not practical or all that easy really.

10 Likes

I think the “vibes” you should have is that voting is such a vital part of a democracy that you need to do everything you can to encourage it. Sure there’s the possibility of voter fraud, but it’s been shown over and over to be not that big a problem. And the use of these voter registration laws are essentially disenfranchising people way out of proportion to the problem – orders of magnitude even. And no surprise, it’s disenfranchising people who aren’t white. It’s like using a hydrogen bomb to mop the floor – somebody else’s.

19 Likes

Dang I’m feeling dumb today.

2 Likes

In my state, when you are registered you just enter your assigned polling place and state your name. They then look in the register and find your name. You then sign the register.

So first, to illegally vote, you would have to know who hasn’t voted yet and then match their recorded signature. Second, the people working the polls know 90% of the people coming in, since they also live in the neighborhood, and third,there are always two separate people at the table viewing you signing.

8 Likes

Sorry to reply to my own post, but I looked it up and a Pennsylvania non drivers license Photo ID cost $28.50

5 Likes

I guess I should have added the idea of same day voter registration, which they apparently also have in North Carolina. I can see that any sort of reasonable record keeping would prevent a person from voting multiple times under their own name. I am not sure that it would be worth the effort to go to lots of different polling stations, register under a false name, then vote and move on to the next place. I imagine it would require lots of people to do this in order for it to be effective, and such an effort would be hard to conceal.

6 Likes

I’m just as guilty of thumbing my nose at states that enact backwater policies, but many of us have been working hard to stem the tide of McCrory’s assault on our state’s progressive history.

In January, after the election of Pat McCrory as governor, Republicans took control of both the executive and legislative branches for the first time since Reconstruction. Since then, state government has become a demolition derby, tearing down years of progress in public education, tax policy, racial equality in the courtroom and access to the ballot.

Emphasis mine. Between this, the now-infamous HB2, and the “business-friendly” approach to cleaning up the coal ash problem, we’re doing all we can down here until we can sweep them out this November. Many of us have been appalled at the direction he’s been trying to take this state in ever since he got elected.

You may have been introduced to Rev. Barber recently. We’re proud to have him on our side in this fight.

6 Likes

It’s a Friday! You can totally let the neurons nap for a while, we’ll still be your friends :slight_smile:

5 Likes

…That used to be us? I mean, I guess we did have the first public university in the country, but still.

I spend a lot of time at work evaluating security procedures at our facilities. I have been doing that for a very long time. When I see a lock, I automatically start thinking about ways to bypass or pick it. I am not trying to be negative or anything, but it is my nature to see a system, and think of ways to exploit it’s flaws.
In this case, I have certainly seen evidence that the NC laws were enacted for racist reasons, and that is enough reason to oppose them. My only point was that it seems that not requiring any ID, especially where there is same day registration, might be exploitable. It appears that the rewards for succeeding in doing so are high enough to make the risk acceptable for some people. That does not mean that I am alleging that anyone has or will do so.

5 Likes

And I assume that $28.50 is the cost of the ID itself, not the cost of getting there or the cost of other forms (such as a birth certificate) that may be required.

In my own experience it’s possible to register to vote in multiple places, but getting the required photo ID may mean going to multiple places. And while voter registration places may operate after hours and on weekends the limited number of places to get the paperwork and photo ID mostly only operate during business hours on weekdays, and not necessarily every weekday.

3 Likes

As others have mentioned, there’s registration. There’s also the problem of there only being so much time in the day for someone to stand in the long lines at most polling locations, and the fact that the hypothetical multiple-voter would be risking a felony charge just for the chance to add only a handful of votes.

You’d have to have thousands, or hundreds of thousands, of people, all willing to risk federal prison and all the issues that come from that, to make any sort of dent in any large election race. And then somehow make sure none of them blabbed. That’s pretty low on the list of probabilities.

13 Likes

I suppose I will have to look it up I the ruling but what type of IDs are these (either side)