North Carolina's voter suppression law struck down as "racist"

Maybe you’re looking at the wrong lock. Perhaps you should be looking at the lock that is meant to stop discrimination against certain classes of potential voters i.e. those that historically vote Democrat.

Trivially, any system is exploitable with enough resources dedicated to the exploit, but the system currently in place to discourage repeat voting seems to, from the available evidence, actually work pretty well. But this fact is essentially being deliberately ignored by a particular political faction in order to further their own ends.The problem highlighted here is that an entrenched power group is running an exploit by (mis)using their ability to draft the law to further entrench themselves.

13 Likes

My home state, Washington, has taken ease of voting a step further and has all voting done by mail.

5 Likes

I think that may be wrong on the reporter’s (or Cory’s) part? The list from what I can see is a fairly exhaustive list of possible photo IDs:

Driver’s License
State-Issued Non-Driver’s License ID
Military ID
Passport
VA Card
Tribal Enrollment Card (state or federally recognized tribe)
Out-of-state Driver’s License or ID Card (only if you registered within 90 days of the election, like if you moved)

It could be in reference to like, a specific Voter ID? I think some states have that? Don’t know if NC ever did. Basically you register to vote, you get a free photo ID to use for voting.

1 Like

They do not. The states that have same-day registration typically have more stringent requirements for those cases.

3 Likes

I can’t argue for the US but here in Australia I have to give my name and address. It gets crossed off a list using a pencil and a ruler. Hundreds of identical lists must be collected during the election so they are presumably scanned and cross referenced.

That doesn’t identify the people voting more than once but it does tell authorities where fraud is happening, and which polling places might have compromised votes.

The person who records me as present writes a mark (their initials?) on the ballot paper. Maybe when dupes are found ballots with those initials are just excluded.

It probably isn’t enough of a problem here for more steps to be taken.

edit: In Malaysia voters get a mark on their hand with ink. The ink takes more than a day to come off. My wife’s uncle, who is malaysian chinese, was furious to learn that other chinese malaysians were accepting money to have their hands marked without voting.

5 Likes

I think I probably agree with you, especially on the aspect of erring on the side of democracy. I guess what set the question in my head when I started to see and read stories on this issue today, is the feeling that if either of the candidates would probably be willing to rig the system if they thought they could get away with it. I also do not have much knowledge about the various reasons that someone would not have a photo ID, besides possibly elderly people who no longer drive. But I can accept that there is a bunch about the whole situation that lies outside my knowledge and experience.

2 Likes

I got this from the ACLU site today. The NC voting website says to check back for clarification on the issue. From the ACLU-
RICHMOND, VA — A federal appeals court today struck down North
Carolina’s restrictive omnibus voting law in a sweeping victory for
voting rights. The ruling blocks voter ID and restores preregistration, a
week of early voting, same-day registration, and out-of-precinct
provisional voting

I guess you could use some sort of statistical analysis to find unusual patterns of voter participation, and probably check registered voter lists against utility accounts and other residence data.

If voter fraud is really a big concern (it’s a fake issue, but let’s say it’s real) then what would be wrong with doing the purple finger thing?

5 Likes

Only the example I gave above about voters accepting money to be marked without voting.

1 Like

Yeah looking that over in WA non photo ID, if you are registered you will be mailed a voter ID card which they may ask you to show… Of course it is all mail in ballots now so you just sit down in the kitchen/den/wherever with your voters pamphlet and take your time. Then either use a stamp or take to one of the official boxes usually at a library.
It rocks! I put my ballot in the brand new walking distance to me box last night!

3 Likes

I would be even more motivated to go to the polls just for that! (If I could go to the polls in WA as it’s all mail in now)

1 Like

I don’t get it. Who is going to care if they are marked or not except the second polling location? You can probably pay someone not to vote already, and they can take your money and then still vote. Wouldn’t even a person buying non-votes prefer–

Wait. How is your thing supposed to work exactly?

Okay. I get it. Instead of the Republican complaint of “the Democrats are buying votes from the homeless and bussing them to polling stations and paying them with sandwiches” it’s “The Republicans are buying low voter turnout.”

I wonder if you can buy someone’s non-vote would they have voted at all had you left them alone?

1 Like

I vote with my feet. Really!

2 Likes
2 Likes

That must take some skill. Are you guys on voting machines or still paper ballots over there? Not sure I’d be able to manage the signature myself.

1 Like

So you get two votes?

2 Likes

We have same-day registration in Canada, and you need proof of address (like a bill) with your name on it. And you can only go to the poll that matches that address.

So, unless you’re basically already committing identity theft, you can’t vote fraudulently. And it would be ridiculously difficult to pull off on a massive scale, especially without being caught (because if even one of the people you’re impersonating comes in and tries to vote…).

8 Likes

That’s why I only cast fraudelent votes for dead people.

7 Likes

Explore Christophe Nérault
"Find Edgar Neubauer"

3 Likes