North Korea did not hack Sony, says security researcher

And I was branded a “truther” conspiracy theorist here when I dared suggest that a bit more time and investigation might be in order before placing blame on the most obvious target…

4 Likes

I blame George I for the Quadruple Alliance - something bound to lead to tears before bedtime with the American Colonials.

1 Like

@dacree: It’s worth noting the somewhat obscure point that the group taking credit for the attack is called GOP which is not related to the American political party called the G.O.P.

As to the main point that is wasn’t actually NK, I have to go with my gut and what people tell me, since I don’t have any direct evidence. And my gut says this is not politically convenient, and I tend to think that our FBI has the best capability of finding out the truth, given the vast resources available. NK was definitely ratcheting up the rhetoric around this movie and I certianly think they’re capable of doing the hacking (or paying for it to happen, as @AcerPlatanoides suggests). Means, motive, and opportunity, as they say.

That doesn’t rule out the possibility that some really black-hat mo-fos aren’t trying to raise tensions by making it look like NK so that the U.S. is distracted from some other conflict (I’m looking at you, Russia) or that it might just be plain ol’ hackers bent on nothing but lulz, but at this point I think thats unlikely.

1 Like

Nothing particularly against Marc Rogers, but I would not say he laid out his case convincingly at all. There was an interview with him and someone else on PBS (sorry I don’t have the link any more) where he basically just came out and said something to the effect of “well I don’t have enough information to really say one way or the other but I think maybe it wasn’t NK”. Here as well he is basically speculating and the money quote given here by @frauenfelder is a bit tin foil hat.

Considering how many fully gruntled Japanese residents who hold North Korean passports there are, an insider could certainly have been part of the incident.

In addition to what you have said, part of the “Pivot towards Asia” strategy is continuing to try and engage NK in the Six Party Talks and there has definitely been more gov to gov and .mil to SDF coordination with Japan of late so I agree, blaming NK is not “convenient” at this time.

1 Like

This leads me to thinking about a possibility. What if somebody from the US side does not like such kind of talks and wants to preserve the status quo or even push for more tension? Countries, govts, and govt agencies are rather rarely monolithic bodies, more often they are composed of competing fractions and factions that commonly sabotage each other.

1 Like

It’s not Boing-Boing’s stupidity, clumsiness, and incompetence people doubt, it’s their motivations and their willingness to post readership click-bait for tinfoil knuckle-draggers.

That’s why everyone should believe the Truthers, and why everyone should still suspect Obama was born in Kenya.

I mean, if he wasn’t born in Hawaii, he has every motivation to lie and decieve, hasn’t he?

There are so many easier ways to do something like that either based on existing problems or if you wanted to fake a problem theres lots of ways to do that which won’t get so many people screaming false flag and “I don’t think thats what the evidence says and I’m a genuwine researcher”. Barring that some rogue element in the US might just call up a friend in China and ask em to do some wacky thing like maybe turn off the DPRK’s internet or something…

I laughed, I cried. It was better than CATS

I would like to nominate this as my favorite comment ever. The fallacy packing techniques on display are probably record setting.

It’s not about motivation, it’s genetic. All non-hawiians are lying sacks of crap. That’s your point, right? I hope we can agree on this at least.

Apparently, they (those that run North Korea and based on their actions, the only people in North Korea “who matter”) aren’t all that fond of those other people that are trapped within their borders and keep demanding extravagances like food, public utilities and a desire to go visit relatives that got out when they had the chance. Say what you will about the U.S., we (well, those that were supposed to represent us but have shown to only represent their own self interests, very similar to those “who matter” described above.) have brought that upon ourselves, but for those in power in North Korea to continue on the path they are on to maintain their wealth/power when their population is starving and without most basic utilities/necessities is as shameful as it gets. Not only does your generic"America is evil" not give any new insight or advance any discussion on this (or any other, for that matter) topic, you are also taking the focus away from what actually matters, those North Korean citizens that are in desperate need of help. That is pretty shameful as well and underscores a very important fact that I don’t think many people recognize and nobody is talking about. Not to downplay the importance knowing the truth behind who did this to Sony and to acknowledge North Korea’s innocence if they are being erroneously accused, but the fact that a “nuclear capable” country is in such a mess that it is so easy to believe that they are so threatened by some crappy movie that they would expend scarce resources to lash out like a petulant child at the company behind said movie instead of fixing their infrastructure or any of the other problems in their country is the most unbelievably shocking result coming out of this incident. This is a situation that needs some resolution sooner rather than later before it becomes too late to help or even save the North Korean people.

1 Like

No, it’s owned by its shareholders, who generally don’t give a shit in what country its headquarters is located.

@Israel_B except that the hack was against the American division of Sony. has little to do with Japan.

That may be assuming starting the event from scratch. Sometimes you deal with something that happened on its own, and you just take advantage of it and try to milk it what it’s worth. I don’t believe the hack itself was the US govt associated work. That somebody took an existing event and tried to spin it to bolster his pet cause is what I’d consider much less unlikely.

Even though Sony Pictures is mostly run at arms length, its still a division of Sony and as such is part of their GWAN and does get employees assigned from the mothership in Tokyo.

Fair nuff, thats not unreasonable at all. Maybe time will tell or maybe we’ll never know.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.