North Korea launches Netflix-like streaming propaganda service 'Manbang'

A long time ago, I did some consulting for a company that makes tools and appliances. They were about to name one of their products “Spunk.” I said, “Take a look at this paragraph in this Martin Amis novel.” One by one, their eyes widened ever so slightly as they shifted nervously in their conference room chairs, and it was never spoken of again.

15 Likes

Dammit, this is why I need my own personal Chuck Tingle.

The DPRK’s bizarre time-warp 1950’s world just got a little more bizarre. I feel like this is the early stages of the Fallout universe, all klunky tech and rocketship chic.

8 Likes

Like living in a fuckin evil movie and the population has no idea, truly a nightmare these assholes basically put their government on display for worldwide ridicule.

1 Like

By comparison, Manbang makes Grindr seem like a site for historic flour mill aficionados.

5 Likes

Doesn’t Good Vibrations sell those?

3 Likes

Someday we will find out it was all a real life Truman Show, just with more more people and fewer resources.

3 Likes

Still, likely to have more content than Amazon Prime Video.

14 Likes

okay, we in stream. now start film

3 Likes

Chochem " It is nearly Septober Kimar. I know I am old, but really, just … polish those antennae… er… antennas until then. Take these final days of Julaugust and work on your green while you can. Soon the Martian winter will be upon us."

Chochem turns to Vodar, “And from now on, stop playing with yourself.”

3 Likes

This is a fairly brilliant tool to control information. When information, in this case media, is easy to access piracy is reduced. One threat to any government that attempts to control all access to outside media are those disks that are not approved, shared and copied in secret.

It could also lead to loyalty tests. “Why were you searching for ‘X’?”

Perhaps particular titles or subjects would be listed for only particular people or areas, or classes of people. With one gatekeeper the possibilities are fairly grim.
-“Why did you watch the forbidden movie ‘Y’?”
-“Why did you not report subject ‘Z’? You know it is forbidden.”
-“Good, you are loyal. Thank you for reporting the dangerous content.”
- “We have always been at war with we have always been at war with Oceania. Why do you support Oceania and undermine Eastasia?”
-“You didn’t watch our Glorious Leader’s 4 hour speech more than once. Unacceptaaaaaable! Ten years dungeon!”

3 Likes

I don’t think the 1950s are quite the right era. Visually their futurism seems more '80s, whereas the countryside seems like it gets down to 1920s or worse in tech level.

2 Likes

You could average those decades out to the 50s :smiley:

3 Likes

The real question is will they have Pulgasari available for streaming?

5 Likes

I predict that this will not be true for long.

9 Likes

And the “Chinese Smuggler” will be a sex move, not just a required haircut.

7 Likes

YouTube beat them to it!

6 Likes

the spy service of North Korea sucks. everyone knows that one needs 8" disks to change the targets of the nuclear weapons.

8 Likes

Or Netflix.

2 Likes

I don’t think you quite understand communism :wink:

3 Likes

Neither does North Korea!

10 Likes