North Korean defectors undermine totalitarianism with smuggled pirate sitcoms

On the same TVs, computers and media players ostensibly used to watch official government propaganda. Kim Jong Il regarded himself as a “genius of cinema,” so it’s really not that surprising that he would have wanted his subjects to have the means of appreciating his work.

1 Like

It’s tough to have a sense of perspective when everybody around you tells you how great you are.

Trust more the friends who tell you the bad and the ugly too.

1 Like

Those don’t come with hardware DPRKM?

4 Likes

He probably was one of the foremost film aficionados in his own country, if only because he was the only person who was allowed to amass a collection of 20,000 DVDs.

2 Likes

Read a story a few weeks back; a rare American tourist to the DPRK attended an international film festival in Pyongyang.

The local press made much of the presence of foreigners attending. Lots of cameras trained on them, providing proof that the festival was truly “international” and thus actually meant something.

A telling point: The writer asked his guide / handler to name a favorite movie. She mentioned “Titanic,” because it was so romantic.

Hopefully her boss won’t read the story.

1 Like

He’s like Michael Jackson with a nuclear arsenal…

2 Likes

Fortunately, with a joke for a nuclear arsenal. I feel sorry for the fish in the Sea of Japan.

1 Like

Fuckupshima on one side, Nork tests on the other, matter of time until kaijus make the day complete.

1 Like

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

1 Like

It took me a while to parse that sentence, but now that I understand it, you make an intriguing point.

1 Like

I must be hanging around here too much because I understood his comment on the first read through. :confused:

2 Likes

Nuclear Breasticles to MAXIMUM POWER!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.