Not one Boston cop volunteers to wear a bodycam

How is office work and police work the same, then?

You want to say that to someone who has lost their husband, wife, or child to police violence?

1 Like

Because we don’t actively hold them to it. When we (as citizens, tax payers, and human beings) hold them to it, surprisingly, they rise to the occasion and actually take their motto seriously.

It isn’t just that, it has been the findings in some court cases. So even in the legal sense.

ETA - though at the same time there are cases of cops risking their lives for citizens. Same with Firefighters or EMTs.

Sure. That doesn’t change the reality of daily interactions between citizens and cops, which lead to far too many deaths. That just follows through to the courts, where cops are more often than is healthy for society given a pass on violence. [quote=“Mister44, post:84, topic:83596”]
though at the same time there are cases of cops risking their lives for citizens. Same with Firefighters or EMTs.
[/quote]

No one said there wasn’t. When we talk about police violence, do you think that we’re saying that all cops are bad or none have done anything worth doing? We all realize this isn’t true and it’s not what people are talking about when you talk about the structures that empower cops who are a danger to citizens. The fact that almost all police shootings, no matter the case, tend to end up with closing ranks and a refusal to punish this sort of thing only makes the problem harder to root out.

Again, citizen oversight boards matter here and would help the situation.

2 Likes

I refuse to believe that not one cop volunteered to wear a body. Come on, not even if it was one of their own kills?!? How naive do you think I am!

No, no. I didn’t say anyone did. I completely agree with your points at increased accountability. I am just trying to acknowledge the flip side that there are cops who do exhibt both good and model behavior to anyone reading this. I think one tends to try to put people in one of two camps - pro cop - and cop haters. The reality is many if not most of the people are neither, they just want a better police force (which I believe, with out wanting to attach labels, you fall under).

Yes, or a 3rd party, non-police government entity (look at me, suggesting bigger government). Too often cops are policing cops, and that is like the fox watching the hen house.

1 Like

So basically, this is us right now… :wink:

4 Likes

Once again, I am not a police officer, but where I work, there are now cameras and microphones. I suppose there is the off chance that they could someday be used to benefit us, but I think it is much more likely that they would be used by some lawyer, who would analyze every motion and word spoken, in an attempt to lay blame for any incident on us. On one hand, I like the idea of accountability, especially for police, who have done some scary stuff lately. But I don’t blame them for not wanting the Eye of Sauron focused on them the whole time.
I guess the point is that it might be that there are other reasons for not wanting to be constantly recorded besides the desire to do immoral or illegal acts.

How about cameras that are turned on beginning with police-public interactions?

Plus, aren’t most police cars outfitted with cameras? Is that not the same thing?

What’s sad is that there are probably lots of Boston cops who wouldn’t mind wearing them, but if they volunteer they’re afraid that the other cops would likely throw a “blanket party” for them.

Then let’s have it in your own words: In what ways do you feel cops are psychologically different from the general populace that makes them more willing to be subject to always-on recording while at work?

I think I found the problem.

2 Likes

If you have, it’s one that afflicts humanity as a whole. Humans are terrible at evaluating probabilities and relative risks. This isn’t a new discovery.

Acting.

8 Likes

Wow, what are they trying to hide?

1 Like

This is exactly why I have two visible, and one hidden, camera in my truck.

2 Likes

Multiple videos corroborating the same execution-style shooting of unarmed black children and/or teens doesn’t ever seem to result in corrective action. What’s so special about swear words that they can cause more grief than bullets?

9 Likes

You mean like gay people? Blacks? Muslims? Women? I agree that it is a real problem that some people think the only reason to have a government is to pass laws and regulations to deny basic rights to such groups of people.

6 Likes

Am… am I the green one?

2 Likes