Not one single human left on the island of Barbuda after Hurricane Irma

You mean buying condos with first floor swimming pools and integrated boat launching facilities.

5 Likes

Paging Kim Stanley Robinson!

Mr. Robinson, your keynote speech before that crazy National Association of Realtors, U.S. coastal states edition, is on in 5, 4, 3, 2…

https://www.amazon.com/New-York-2140-Stanley-Robinson/dp/031626234X

3 Likes

Clean up but dont rebuild.
Make Barbuda one of the largest island sanctuary in the world.
There is already the frigate bird sanctuary.
Just extend it to the whole island.
But dont rebuild.

2 Likes

Wasn’t there also a theory about a Mediterranean Sea flood? The Straits of Gibraltar were once a land bridge and, when sea levels rose at the end of the ice age, the Atlantic would have overflowed the Straits making for a giant waterfall.

2 Likes

I guess the laws of marine salvage don’t apply? /s

The first thing they need to do is get the water supply going again. Hopefully the source hasn’t been flooded with salt water.

In Barbuda, with a population of less than 2 000 people, most of the water supplied to the population comes from shallow wells. In 2005, the water obtained from wells in the Palmetto Point area was potable but other wells around the island have been found to be saline in content. APUA then installed a Reverse Osmosis (RO) Plant in Barbuda which produces approximately 113.6 m3/day or 0.041 million m3/year to meet the needs of the residents of Barbuda.

Harvesting of rainwater by households contributes an important source of safe drinking water provided the collection and storage system is kept in a hygienically good condition. By law, all new houses are supposed to be equipped with rainwater collection and storage systems. The average size of this storage is 19 m3 and the number of households is approximately 20 000.

http://www.fao.org/nr/water/aquastat/countries_regions/ATG/

1 Like

1,800 residences divided by $300 million = $16666/resident.

Marine Archaeology , now there’s a thing!

that happened but ~6MM years ago iirc

Harr-dee-harr

1 Like

See: xkcd, “time”

Ehhhh, a lot of buildings in antiquity (Minoan civilization, for example) were built from stone, and would have just needed a new roof and a good cleaning after a storm like this.

Which is roughly the per capita GDP, so that’ll be a bit of a problem.

1 Like

For anyone else caught off guard by that, those two paragraphs are bouncing back and forth between talking about just Barbuda and Antigua and Barbuda combined. :wink:

3 Likes

building permits ought not be issued for land at sea level plus…the legal consequences, horrifying

1 Like

Unfortunately people want to live by water, and then you have places like New Orleans that are below sea level. Saying, “thou shalt not build at sea level” really isn’t realistic.

1 Like

i can see municipalities being sued for issuing said permits…

I wonder does it need to have been an obviously cataclysmic event such as that. The end of the last glacial period would have seen coastal areas flooded globally as sea levels rose. How rapidly, I don’t know, but probably far too rapidly if you’re part of a cultural that is settled by the coast and having to migrate to new areas…

http://www.floodmap.net

you can set your baseline, and watch your world disappear, Quite a few Caribbean islands aren’t volcanic, and the highest point is only a few meters above sea level.

Texans have more of a choice as to where to build than the people of Antigua and Barbuda.

Julian May used this in her “Saga of the Exiles” series. And consistent with her fiction, she used it to explain racial memory of the event (purely within her fictional universe mind you).

The Epic of Gilgamesh has a giant flood, which is thought to be the forming or raising of the Black Sea, as it joined with the Mediterranean. I would attach a link but all I can find are websites using this as proof of Noah’s flood, and now I am too depressed to look. Bleah…