Not one single human left on the island of Barbuda after Hurricane Irma

Yeah I remember one show I watched years ago where they were talking about the sonar surveying of the Black Sea and they found some oddities in the scans. Specifically, they found what looked like vertical lines that they later found out were remnants of wooden walls (water prevents decay due to oxygen) of houses in an ancient village. Basically, they realized that at some point in the distant past the Black Sea was much smaller and only grew (possibly rapidly) as a result of the ending of the last ice age. Basically, folks got flooded out when the reservoirs of glacial water just blew passed their natural barriers. And if I recall correctly, it correlates well with the particular flood myths of the adjacent regions.

Yes! It is pretty hard to do, though. We are missing A LOT about early man and civilizations due to so many areas on the coast at the rise of civilization, are now under water due to the receding ice age.

1 Like

Here’s a (fairly old) sim – but interesting – within a few months the entire Med would have reflooded.

No, you’re off by a factor of ten. 300,000,000 / 1800 = $167,000 (per residence).

They should rebuild with sturdier materials. I doubt global warming will result in less intense hurricanes.

Jeez. Am I the only one whose mind went straight to Fallout?
fallout-4-sanctuary-hills

Said the one whose homeland it isn’t. Would much rather not rebuild in Texas or Florida.

It’s a great idea, but I’m afraid there’s a place where the need to abruptly evacuate all trace of human occupancy and create 100,000 permanent refugees is even more pressing. Before I get to that, on a totally unrelated note, where do you live?

If my homeland got hammered to oblivion I would also let it be.
Then again i am not very attached to my homeland.

Most people of Barbuda are like me, recent or less-recent immigrants, and the native Taino would probably tell you the same thing i did if they could speak.

The hometown that i grew up in was more or less obliterated. Not by natural disasters but political persecution in Venezuela by Chavez, but the area might as well gotten hit by a storm. If you look at the area now it’s pretty much dead when it used to be a nice green vibrant area. Hardly anyone lives there now.

The trauma is having everything taken away, not just your home. Everything you ever knew. There is a high degree of emotional pain that goes along with that, i still struggle coping with it almost 15 years later.

Mind you i’m not saying you’re wrong to leave the area. It’s likely the safest thing to do. But i feel for the people of various islands, i might not know exactly what they’re going through but close enough.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.