Nothing says Christmas like an aluminum tree

I used to think evergreens were chosen because they were symbolic of life’s persistence, but killing the tree to use it as a decoration undermined that.

2 Likes

(a) very common in Scandinavia and (b) highly flammable.

2 Likes

So you basically decorated the tree with solder.

I recall that stuff, lovely, heavy and pretty. Hope to heck I never ate any.

4 Likes

wow, that’s a long long long way from Saturnalia. Not that they brought trees inside, but they decorated them with suns.

4 Likes

If you recall it, you’re probably good.

2 Likes

Yeah, some idiots are still selling lead tinsel on eBay. Apparently the original tinsel was silver, which hangs nicely and doesn’t poison you, but is expensive and prone to tarnish. http://cen.acs.org/articles/92/i50/Tinsel-MadeChanged-Over-Years.html

2 Likes

LEAD 

2 Likes

Exactly what I came here to find, and was partially responsible for the demise of the fad.

2 Likes

The comedian Jim Gaffigan had a whole bit about the objectively strange idea of the Christmas tree and other traditions:

3 Likes

Meh. It’s a collectible item. Odds are it’ll never be hung on a tree, let alone mouthed by children or whatever.

Wow. I love me some Christmas kitsch, but that’s…a bit much.

I’m not even mad. That’s amazing.

1 Like

Friend of mine collected a bunch of discarded Christmas trees and later took them down to the beach to make a very large menorah. I’ve only seen the pictures, but apparently they burned quite nicely.

This year we’re visiting relatives at Christmas, so the small aluminum tree with LEDs is set up again.
No loose tinsel, because most cats we’ve owned would eat it and get sick.

2 Likes

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.