Notorious "Fuck the Draft" poster from 1968 up for auction

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/28/notorious-fuck-the-draft-p.html

4 Likes

19 Likes

Interesting tidbit: a judge refused to cite him for contempt of court, so he was cited for contempt of cop instead:

On April 26, 1968, 19-year-old Paul Robert Cohen was arrested for wearing a jacket bearing the words “Fuck the Draft” inside the corridor of the Los Angeles Courthouse.[3] Cohen was reportedly at court to testify in an unrelated hearing when an officer noticed his jacket and requested to the judge that he be held in contempt of court. The judge refused to charge him, and Cohen was instead arrested in the corridor for disturbing the peace.[2] Cohen claimed that he wore the jacket in an act of protest against the Vietnam War.[2] He was convicted of violating section 415 of the California Penal Code, which prohibited “maliciously and willfully disturb[ing] the peace or quiet of any neighborhood or person [by] tumultuous or offensive conduct,” and sentenced to 30 days in jail.[2]

4 Likes

“Congratulations on your anti-napalm protest. You saved the life of a dog. Now, how about saving the lives of tens of thousands of people in Vietnam."

Wow that is bad-ass.

14 Likes

Might come in useful again if Cadet Bonespurs tries to boost his chances in 2020.

5 Likes

I had never heard of Kiyoshi Kuromiya before, to which I can only ask, why not? What a life.

5 Likes

The Wikipedia article doesn’t do this justice. Click through the footnote link–the entire story is so powerful.

That is a mench! That guy is the kind of American I can be proud of.

Thanks for the introduction, had never heard of him before.

3 Likes

My draft card was stolen in 1970. Never replaced it. Nobody cared by then.

Who the fuck would steal a draft card? I really wanted to burn mine.

It was in my wallet at the time.

2 Likes

Good for the Americans perhaps, but the move to an increasingly professional US army has made the rest of the world suffer ever since.

To me, a drafted army would be the most progressive policy for our times. That way you won’t support a war unless you believe so strongly in it’s cause that you’re prepared to take part in the battle field and fight it yourself.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.