Notoriously sexist federal judge kicked off discrimination case

Originally published at: Notoriously sexist federal judge kicked off discrimination case | Boing Boing

7 Likes

That comment? Yikes. Good thing that he was replaced by someone else, at least in this case.

8 Likes

In a functional society, someone who showed such callous disregard for his duty would be looking for a new job. How can someone repeatedly show such prejudice and remain on the bench?

25 Likes

Overwhelming whiteness? Just a thought.

22 Likes

Judges are very reticent to discipline their peers. He would have to commit a felony, on film, in front of several witnesses in order to be removed. And it would have to be a serious felony, like murder.

10 Likes

I wish I could still believe that decrepit misogynists and bigots like this dying off would be enough to propel us to a more just society. Unfortunately, there seem to plenty of younger bigots and sexists waiting to take their place in positions of pubic responsibility.

18 Likes

Yeah, the last four years really normalized this kind of stuff, and it isn’t going away now that the proverbial cat is out of the bag. 4+ years of a generation who thinks this is normal is not going to be good for the country 20ish years from now.

EDIT: spelling

12 Likes

In case you are wondering how the vetting went that let such a person serve. Hughes was nominated by President Ronald Reagan on October 16, 1985. The Committee on the Judiciary advanced his nomination without printed report and was confirmed by the U.S. Senate on December 16, 1985 by Voice Vote. There senate was comprised 45 (D) 55 ®.

10 Likes

Christ, what an asshole.

8 Likes

I still hold that it is a matter of quantity rather than quality. The next generation of assholes is just as assholish as the past one, but there are fewer of them. They will end with a whimper, not a bang… Or so I sincerely hope.

6 Likes

and likely becoming more and more of an outspoken asshole as he sees his dream world slipping away.

2 Likes

@AnnaTheWeird
In a functional society, someone who showed such callous disregard for his duty would be looking for a new job. How can someone repeatedly show such prejudice and remain on the bench?
[/quote]
He was prejudiced, this judge. If only the case were being tried in Frank Herbert’s fictional Gowachin Courtarena, where bias in a judge ("if I can rule for a particular side, I will.) is allowable, but prejudice (“I will rule for a particular side no matter what.”) Is not. And in that place, if opposing counsel can prove that one of the judges is prejudiced, he may kill that judge with any of the weapons posted handily about the Courtarena.

Ah! 'Tis merely the manifestation of the " Melting Pot Syndrome " - a process where the dross and scum rises to the top!;hence toxic judges,puerile presidents and political parasites !; inhibiting the rich alloy of humanity and enterprise produced in the process.

1 Like

“There’s always a bigger bigot.”
                        — Qui-Gon Jinn

1 Like

I think it is related to tenure for professors. You don’t want a judge swayed by ‘political correctness’ for fear of losing his position. Now, that leaves cases like this as a problem that needs to be sorted out.

Maybe if he shot someone on 5th avenue in NY?..

Nope. If you’re white enough, and have enough politicians up your ass you can literally direct a murderous mob into the capital, and still have a shit ton of people defending you.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.