Notre Dame scaffolding workers were smoking on the job before fire, firm says

I was very active in the cocktail scene here for a good 10 years. My liver hit the wall at 45. But it was a happy thing since at that point I rediscovered cannabis. In high school and college it was always pretty shitty quality and it just never resonated with me. But when I stopped drinking I got a medical card and found the experience of good quality bud and concentrates to be mighty fine.

5 Likes

Come to think of it, doesn’t france have some of the world’s oldest cave paintings?

3 Likes

Yeah they are about half the age of the oldest Australian cave paintings,

7 Likes

I stand corrected.

1 Like

Football yes - soccer? That’s crazy talk!

2 Likes

The paintings at the Chauvet cave go back 37,000 years, which seems comparable to the oldest findings in Australia.

2 Likes

Ah right, thanks. I was relying on a different wikipedia page which gave an age of 20k years,

1 Like

Looking at the results of an avalanche: Clearly there is not a chance that a few buckets worth of snow sliding down a slope could have flattened this village.

4 Likes

It is legit hard to set stuff on fire with a cigarette or other ember. Sawdust is almost your ideal medium for that though (behind, say, shredded twine or shredded birch bark).

3 Likes

Lint. Or oily rags which can support smoldering until there’s a draft.

7 Likes

Yup. Just ask anyone who failed to clean their dryer trap frequently (you should do it every time).

1 Like

I think he’s really just protecting his ass derriere here.

Obviously the real problem is they were smoking in that effete European way, which is much more prone to starting a fire. /s

3 Likes

And where was God on the evening of the fire?

6 Likes

The crazy part is they found ancient Gitane Brand cigarettes in the cave that were carbon dated to 25000 years ago.

7 Likes

The scaffolding firm that was renovating Notre-Dame in Paris when it burned says its workers smoked while they were on the job.

However, the construction company says there is no possibility a stray cigarette butt might have started the fire that destroyed the cathedral’s oak-framed roof last week.

If this is true, then… who cares, and why report on it? What’s the point of pointing the finger at these workers for something that couldn’t possibly have caused the fire, if it’s not to imply that it totally could have caused the fire? And if that’s the case, why not just say so to begin with??

1 Like

I’m surprised that no one assumed it was a French man smoking while holding a baguette that caused Norte Dame to be on fire. This is like the most French thing possible.

1 Like

I had to double-take on the ‘12th Century wiring’ given it would be another 600 years till electricity came round Paris - but then I spotted this as an Onion article. Successfully trolled!

2 Likes

God is the cigarette butt. God is the sawdust it caught on fire. God is the log the fire set on fire. God is the person who threw the cigarette butt. God was the act of throwing it, and the thought behind it, or lack thereof. God is Notre Dame, in all of its forms, forever. God is all that ever is, was, and will ever be. God is One. It’s really that simple! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

so that predates full metal jacket?

1 Like

Still a good excuse to repost this, though: