Notre Dame scaffolding workers were smoking on the job before fire, firm says

Its my belief, that throughout the 250k year period mentioned, and possibly for the last million years, there have been people essentially like us on the Earth. Exploring, building, plotting and planning. Little evidence of them has survived and been discovered but I think for much of prehistory it has been possible for a dedicated human to see much of the Earth in their lifetime, as long as they kept moving.

1 Like

Noā€¦They smoke in France!? Quelle surprise!

disque bleu :slight_smile:

1 Like

Smoking? In FRANCE? Where tobacco is a government monopoly, there is a cigarette kiosk on every street corner, and no-one - NO-ONE - ever dies of lung cancer (itā€™s always ā€œheart failureā€)? Comment incroyable!

It hasnā€™t been a government monopoly for a few years, now. Since 1976 other companies have been allowed to sell in the country, and around 1999 the slowly dying state-owned SEITA merged with Tabacalera. Since then, the new entity, Altadis, has been bought by Imperial Tobacco.

Now, the state still takes a goodly amount in taxes for each pack sold (80%), so they probably donā€™t want smoking to stop just because it may cause ā€œa fewā€ deaths every year. (Barely 80 000, whatā€™s that compared to billions of Euros, really.)
And the former SEITA is a lobbyist in the Parlement, to the tune of 100kā‚¬ to 150kā‚¬ a year, and Imperial Tobacco is a lobbyist in the European Commission, for 400 to 500kā‚¬ a yearā€¦

Since some peopleā€™s info seems slightly dated, I would like the opportunity to mention that for a few years we have had running water AND toilets inside our houses. Oh, and electricity, too.

3 Likes

ā€œJe vois ce que tu as fait lĆ ā€

2 Likes

I misread that as ā€œfireworksā€, and thought, ā€œWell, of course the fireworks were missing; thereā€™d been a fire.ā€

Luckily construction sites are generally as free of lubricants, VOCs, assorted cleaning and surface treatment compounds, cleaning supplies and packaging in various stages of use, etc. as they are free of sawdust; so Iā€™m sure itā€™s all good.

1 Like

Yes, my info is slightly dated, as am I. Thanks for keeping me up to date. A bit. In one respect anyway. Perhaps Iā€™ll have to update my volumes of Marcel AymĆ©. Has there been another French writer since then? :slightly_smiling_face:

That, runny cheese, some fresh baked bread, and a nice Bordeaux! :wink:

1 Like

So maybe I am off in my assumptions here, but donā€™t cathedrals have lots and lots of candles? Maybe, a candle started something?

I think I might be French. :heart:

1 Like

Sawdust can literally set itself on fire if you compost the sawdust. Same thing goes for corn or grain dust. Not that they composted it, just be warned.

Smokers give no damn whatever, where they throw their butts or if they are extinguished. Check any landscape bed, anywhere.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.