NRA president Ollie North partially blames school shootings on Ritalin

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/22/nra-president-ollie-north-part.html

5 Likes

Few American public figures have been so consistent for so long in their lying, self-righteous scumbaggery than North has been. We can thank the wingnut welfare machine for providing us with this multi-decade spectacle that might have otherwise concluded with North as a disgraced Marine officer who made deals with terrorists and theocrats to boost the fortunes of his patron.

34 Likes

A culture of violence you say? But not your culture of violence… oh no no not that… other cultures of violence.

31 Likes

“Back in my day exposing young boys to a culture of violence meant they joined the Marines and went off to kill commies in Vietnam!”

18 Likes

Prescription rates for Ritalin in Canada (arguably the country most culturally/socially/economically similar to the United States) are about half that of the US. So logically, if Ritalin was causing school shootings then Canada would be experiencing a rate of school shootings about half that of the United States.

(I’ll save you the trouble of looking it up, they don’t.)

26 Likes

The deal with the Contras must have provided him some high end Ritalin

12 Likes

Well, yeah, but isn’t that because he’s a rat turd?

11 Likes

I’m just gonna post this every time there’s an article about a white male defending the status quo about anything:

5 Likes

“Guns don’t kill people, people kill people”

Same people:

“It’s video games”
“It’s violent movies”
“It’s mental health”
“Girls won’t give boys sex!”
“It’s the Ritalin”

31 Likes

Makes perfect sense. How powerful is the Ritalin lobby, anyway?

2 Likes

I’m sure that people who are concerned about the over-prescribing of brain drugs to children are going to be thrilled to have such a well known person championing their cause.

8 Likes

Oh for fuck’s sake, maan.

Edit: Sorry, not very insightful, but it’s just so … fuck this shit, hell in a hand basket!

9 Likes

Meanwhile in a physician’s office somewhere in 'murica:

Doctor: I’d like to put your child on Ritalin.
Parent: Ohhhhh heavens no! Ritalin causes school shootings.

13 Likes

You left out, “Participation Trophies for youth sports”, “Gay Marriage”, and the perennial favorite “Jews”…

6 Likes

I like the cut of your jib, son.

2 Likes

You have no idea.

Once had a father abscond from the ER with his feverish toddler because he wasn’t gonna let us “turn him faggot” by taking a rectal temperature.

21 Likes

What are the contributing factors to these school shootings?

Drugs, Games, Comic Books, Gays, Athiests, Rock Music. There are so many things that contribute, the problem couldn’t possibly have anything to do with guns.

7 Likes

Depends on the route of ingestion

1 Like

I have to say that I don’t think this is going to go anywhere. NRA’s lobbyists don’t want to tangle with Big Pharma’s lobbyists.

FTFY, Ollie.

14 Likes