Nuclear reactors, hotels, and two San Francisco Bay area landmarks are featured in this video on construction mistakes

Originally published at: Nuclear reactors, hotels, and two San Francisco Bay area landmarks are featured in this video on construction mistakes | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Ay carumba, ain’t that something.

1 Like

I see the Millennium Tower is only number 5 on this list, but it’s not too late for it to place higher!

5 Likes

Not if, but when it starts to be dismantled, it’ll shoot right up to #1.

7 Likes

that one high-rise in china, as the 14 others fell around it: “NOT TODAY, SATAN!”

10 Likes

didn’t they highlight the wrong end of the bay bridge portion that was replaced? They verbally indicated the correct part (eastern span), but highlighted the western span in the graphic.

Just like The Graduate, I guess they wanted a more scenic graphic.

3 Likes

Yeah, what do you do about that? I can’t imagine anyone wants to go anywhere near it and it would take some enormous equipment to knock it down.

2 Likes

Trebuchet?

5 Likes

Here I thought for the Bay Bridge fail would be the fact that the bike path only goes half way.

2 Likes

Clearly, the author of this video had never seen my planter from shop class in junior high…

2 Likes

As an SF resident, it saddens me that the video maker used a lot of footage that is NOT of the new span of Bay Bridge… I can see the collapsed Cypress freeway remains, and disassembly of the old bridge (which happened well after the new bridge was finished). Heck, the highlighted portion on the map at the beginning was the wrong span…

1 Like

Gesundheit. :wink:

5 Likes

Watched the Harmon building go up and then back down.
Video is a bit misleading as the rest of City Center was already open while they tore the Harmon Building down.

The claim that “more than 300 countries have nuclear power plants” makes me question this youtube channel’s journalistic credentials

8 Likes

A sand foundation huh?

The funny thing about sand, with a certain about of water, is that when you jar it just right, it briefly turns liquid. If you vibrate it at the right frequency, it stays liquid.

And whether vibrations in the city are the cause of the Millennium Tower’s problems or not, during a seismic shake, it’s going to be anchored in soup.

1 Like

It goes all the way to Yerba Buena Island, so that’s something. Nobody has been willing to fork up the dough to pay for the untold millions it would cost to bolt an extra bike lane on to the side of the existing Western span of the bridge, least of all the cyclists who would be using it.

Say what you will about the cars vs. bikes debate but it’s the people who drive on the bridge who actually provide the funding for its construction and maintenance costs in the form of bridge tolls.

A personal favourite, decades out of print by now:

Fehler-Richtig-Geplant-Helling-Spengler-Springer-Weber-Ratgeber

https://www.baufachinformation.de/Fehler-richtig-geplant/buecher/205466

Mistakes properly planned

A guidebook for the creative planner of errors

For far too long, the achievement of desired, usable conditions has been misunderstood as the goal of all planning, the undesired results, the mistakes, have been regarded as individual or collective failures, and those responsible have been subjected to unpleasant questions. Deliberate planning errors should therefore finally be given the importance they deserve, since they are completely neglected in conventional planner training. Therefore, the authors undertake the attempt to compensate for the omissions at the universities and scientific institutes. On the basis of numerous examples from different planning areas, theories and models, methods and procedures are presented to the planner of errors, which enable him to commit his own errors properly and purposefully.
Translated with DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator (free version)

4 Likes

There is that building in London that apparently melts cars.

1 Like

2 Likes

Melted, and the architect is a seial offender. They’ve added some stuff to the outside so the sun can’t focus on the street anymore.

2 Likes