Nudists are terrorists, according to prude

Umm… you forgot to mention the time and place.

10 Likes

Nude farm animals! You left out the worst part!

1 Like

It is not so much about the naked skin as it is about the dangly bits… The longer that the dangly bits are allowed to dangle, the more dangly they get.

1 Like

Without wanting to derail the topic, that’s an interesting thought even though it so nicely brings that mode of thought/activity to mind. Got any good substitutes?

As for:

“The nudists have actually perpetuated their blatant crimes to a point of terrorist activity and should be convicted of terrorism…

Bro. Time to take a small step back and breathe a little. It seems you may have gotten an extra-heavy helping of hyperbole in your oatmeal this morning.

I don’t think it’s any more misogynist than the masculine semi-analogue “monocle-popping” is misandrist, which is to say not at all. Bluenosed ladies clutch their pearls and exclaim “Why, I never!” Stuffy old men drop their monocles and sputter unintelligibly (and optionally their white dickeys spontaneously roll up under their chins like windowshades.) I have no idea where you’re getting homophobic from.

7 Likes

Dennis Roszell, who currently lives in Alberta but owns a home across from the beach, claimed the nudists are deliberately intimidating the public with their actions.

An Albertan with a stick up his ass? I’m shocked.

3 Likes

When they say “decades” they mean “it has been used for nude sunbathing since the 1930s.” The new owner bought the place in 2006, and are from West Vancouver. Not from the area, they may have bought out of season and not realized what they were buying into. If that’s the case though, they ought to have gone after the seller right after the purchase was made.

BC law apparently protects people using the water itself, so those people on the adjacent public beach are free to wade and swim in front of the debated property. Here’s another article.

Does pearl clutching have anything to do with pearl jam?

The phrase “pearl clutch” or “clutch my pearls” was adopted by the gay community around the 1990s, but it has far older history relating to women or the pearls of a rosary.

Of course people have been literally clutching their pearls in shock or otherwise for a long time. Here, for example, is a citation from a 1910 issue of the Chambers Journal, a weekly magazine that published fiction and nonfiction:

“Without being aware that I had stirred, I found myself close to the table. I drew a gasping breath, and my hand went out without any conscious volition and clutched the pearls.”

Damon Wayons used “clutch the pearls” as a modern “gay” phrase (3:19) in a Men On Film sketch. Here it is (3:19). So, during the 1990’s, popular culture adopted that way. The gay community had been using it - but more specifically, drag queens, and fell into popular favor.

More recently, it was getting regularly used on feminist blogs - especially when discussing conservative women of wealth who are being falsely-or-overly moralistic - and so the phrase seems to be being used in current cultural context.

2 Likes

So, being a somewhat jaded person who’s a bit tired of giving a rat’s ass about an odd tit here or there, or someone’s ass, or even their dangly bits, the article seemed to be a lot of “it’s a horrible crime that someone should see a naked human”! Also noted, is the comment that people are placing ads to “hook up”, but no mention of public sex acts etc…

Why should anyone care? If you care about kids seeing naked bits, then don’t go to this particular beach. It doesn’t sound like anyone’s fucking in public or soliciting strangers to ram anything anywhere, so it’s basically a bunch of people not wearing clothes. Whoopty fucking doo! Is it only immoral if you’re not nude in your bathroom?

I ask a genuine question here, is this a Christian thing (not being raised Christian)? Perhaps I don’t have the requisite level of moral sanctity to care about someone’s naked parts, and whether they’re on public display or not. It doesn’t sound like the complaints are so much about immoral acts as much as nudity itself being horrible and immoral. I just don’t get it. Maybe their next complaint should be that not enough people are wearing magical underwear or fucking through a hole in a sheet or some other prudish nonsense like that…

5 Likes

And being nude at the time he didn’t have a pen on him to sign it. :smiley:

8 Likes

Prudes will be prudes is all I have to say about this. I have no problem with people walking around naked, contrary to popular belief of the religous it does not tempt children into ‘bad thoughts’ (children are not asexual beings) or encourage them into anything they would not do anyway.
It also does not turn young nude children walking around into ‘rape bait’ (yes, I have actually heard someone call young nude children that), since we have had girls in burqas end up raped.

A person with a lack of self control is going to be a person without self control.

2 Likes

Aren’t animals nude by default ? or are you being sarcastic ?

[quote=“wrecksdart, post:24, topic:38734”]
Without wanting to derail the topic, that’s an interesting thought even though it so nicely brings that mode of thought/activity to mind. Got any good substitutes?[/quote]

The uk phrase would be “curtain twitchers”, meaning busybody neighbours who care too much about what their neighbours are getting up to. Kind of fits here, and it’s pretty inclusive as an insult.

9 Likes

That is perfect. Brings to mind an immediate mental image which exemplifies the behavior as well as the mindset. Curtain Twitcher it is!

2 Likes

“Pearl clutcher” implies a certain exasperated Victorian prudishness that “curtain twitcher” simply can’t convey.

5 Likes

Terrorists!

There’s a phenomenon whereby every word ends up meaning basically “good” or “bad”. Maybe someone can remind me what it’s called.

Anyway, this gentleman’s ill choice of words is terrorism.

2 Likes

On the other claw, putting it all together into “Pearl Clutching Curtain Twitchers” has a nice Yosemite Sam sputtering poetic ring to it.

9 Likes

Ah, but can you say it ten time fast without your tongue getting the vapors?

4 Likes

My partner admits she’s nosy. When she reveals some neighbourhood news gleaned by persistent leaning against the curtains in the front room, I whine “Abner!” And then we laugh.

2 Likes