Number of Americans who believe in God is at its lowest since at least 1944

I always juxtapose proclaimed belief with practice. I’ve met a lot of self-proclaimed “Christians” who are practicing atheists. They live like god doesn’t exist. What people believe doesn’t matter if it doesn’t affect their actions, in my opinion.

I’m agnostic, but I am an atheist in practice.

15 Likes

With the pervasiveness of religion throughout many of the world’s cultures, I wonder if it is an inevitable step in the evolution of societies in general.

In an effort to explain natural events before the scientific method, humans all seem to funnel toward god concepts.

5 Likes

Nah, man, there are Christians very much in the anti-fascist camp. Hell, the Civil Rights movement was entirely based in the Church. There are very loud fascists who claim to be Christians, but also who claim to be athieists, libertarians, eco-freaks and lots more, even “liberals.” Painting a huge group that way is no more justified than the frequently debunked “Muslims are terrorists” bullshit.

31 Likes

It’s like a big tattle phone in the sky?

6 Likes

Well…

34 Likes

Takes one to know one, Butcher…takes one to know one.

3 Likes

I’m quite sure that Butcher would agree with you, and add that at least he’s being honest about it.

He’d probably also say:

11 Likes

Lots of interesting responses here. It’s worth keeping in mind that there are likely many Happy Mutants here who are believers, and some/many are probably Christians. Blanket “invisible sky god” insults or whatever fall equally on mutants and non-mutants alike.

17 Likes

Mostly white protestants and evangelicals. Catholic churches here in Tucson are full of people who are trying to help migrants.

6 Likes

28% of all Americans say God hears prayers but cannot intervene

Interestingly, that’s exactly the same percentage of Americans who don’t know the definition of “omnipotent”.

7 Likes

giphy

9 Likes

Also about the same as the percentage that think they are those pills you get at the gas station

6 Likes

I posted my usual snark in gif form, though it should go without saying that people can believe or disbelieve whatever they wish.

Personally, it’s my opinion that overzealous fanatical atheists are just as fucking annoying as overzealous fanatical believers, and they all need to STFU and leave other people alone.

Since nobody has any concrete evidence either way, it’s all pointless bollocks.

20 Likes

Ohhh yeah? Then how did this guy do that thing with the fishes?

jesus_orig

7 Likes

You are preaching to the choir
…Or talking to the singers
…Either is good.

5 Likes

Sure. But referring to people who believe as mentally ill, as has happened in this thread (not by you) is pretty astounding.

I’m not a Christian myself. But I do hope that our community extends grace (so to speak) to our own Mutant Believers in accordance with our community guidelines.

10 Likes

It’s not very civil, no.

Like I said, overzealousness in either direction equates to being an insufferable asshole in my book.

IMO, far too many people are really just looking for any kind of ‘pedestal’ to place themselves up on, so that they can feel “superior.”

9 Likes

Polls come and go, but asking people what they do doesn’t work as well as actually finding evidence.
When pollsters ask people if they go to church, they say 40%.
When they ask the churches how many show up, the number is more like 20%.

6 Likes

Which is basically a recommendation for the book “Everybody Lies”, which takes google search data and shows that everyone lies about everything all the time…except when they are searching the internet

1 Like

I would argue that a belief in God or gods is what you get when you try to use empathy to explain the natural world. Why is there a drought? When you know nothing of the water cycle, or high pressure systems than “the God of weather is angry at us,” seems a reasonable answer. Then the search is on for what made him angry and the inevitable answer is something that offends the priests, whether that is mixing fabrics or unmarried people having sex.

2 Likes