Number of Americans who believe in God is at its lowest since at least 1944

That’s almost certainly an artifact of a clumsily worded multiple choice question, or possibly just a loose restatement of the actual question.

Lots of people believe that God hears prayers but for some reason does not intervene. There are plenty of possibly explanations for this besides “physically unable to do so.”

1 Like

5 Likes

10 - Doesn’t care
9 - Supports a team other than yours
8 - Actually, is not the God you are praying to
7 - Binging “Friends” (again)
6 - Busy trying to make a rock he cannot lift
5 - Simply doesn’t ship the two of you
4 - Made mosquitoes for a fucking reason
3 - Enjoying some private “Me” time :wink:
2 - Sick of only hearing when you need something
And the number one reason God is not answering your prayers is…Thinks cancer is hilarious

Shake It Off David Letterman GIF by The Academy Awards

5 Likes

That sounds like atheism to me. Yes, to avoid arguments, I might stretch a point and say that we don’t know for sure what is out there. But this is a point that we would not stretch for any other issue. Bertrand Russell’s teapot might be floating out there in space, but we don’t believe in it. We don’t believe in it mostly because believing in it doesn’t fit in with, or explain anything else in our experience. If we saw it through a telescope, we would say “There goes an asteroid that looks just like a tea-pot”. When high-resolution images from probes show a Wedgewood willow-pattern blue and white tea-pot with a small chip in the lid, we might start asking how it got there…

3 Likes

While greedy, racist born-again Christians get most of our attention, this book reminds us there is another religious network which has been hugely important to America’s progress, strengthening and nurturing the Black community.

Stop platforming white people exclusively. Focus on our common humanity, however it’s framed.

7 Likes

When it comes to community guidelines, blasphemous statements are, depending on your views, perfect examples of either a victimless crime, or the ultimate example of"punching up".

2 Likes

Reject anything that advocates for violence against others. Embrace any statements that celebrate our common humanity…

10 Likes

I’m guessing you mean something other than western secularism = more advanced … ?

1 Like

Hardcore atheist here, raised Catholic, fell away in early adulthood. In principle, I would change my mind if confronted with sufficiently convincing evidence; but in practice, I cannot conceive of anything that would reach that bar.

That being said: other people’s beliefs are largely none of my business. If they’re not doing any harm, why go out of my way to upset them? (Obviously here I’m talking about beliefs like “God loves me” rather than “God wants gays imprisoned or executed”.)

We are all facing the existential abyss, and whatever gets you through the day is OK, as long as it’s not harming others (or yourself).

Others have already given examples of people inspired by their faith to do good things, so all I’ll add is that two of the most humane people I have ever met were Catholic priests, one of whom was a source of great comfort in one of my darkest moments (and when I had already stopped believing).

11 Likes

I think that is true when the target is the deity or a religious organization. Maybe not so much when the target is believers in general

2 Likes

I wish more believers were like Warnock. Not only do I respect him for breaking with too many of his fellow Black preachers and being a strong LGBTQ ally, but I’ve taken a couple of genuine lessons from him based in Biblical allegory that I regularly share with others. I don’t believe in supernatural entities but I doubt he’d have a problem with that.

6 Likes

Hey just to clarify, it’s those who claim that god exists that have the burden of proof to present evidence. Remaining unconvinced that the claim is true requires none

8 Likes

Me, I am a hardcore militant agnostic Discordian. I cannot say if there is any sort of supernatural force or ultimate intelligent creator. And neither can you.
And Eris is Her name. Fnord.

6 Likes

GP: Is Eris true?
M2: Everything is true.
GP: Even false things?
M2: Even false things are true.
GP: How can that be?
M2: I don’t know man, I didn’t do it.

8 Likes

I am reminded of a quote I heard in the podcast “The Experiment.” A black preacher/rapper was ruminating on the turn of many of his white mentors to Trumpism:

“If this is who God is, and if this is God’s people, then God must not be real.”

It was a good episode about the damage Trumpism has done to the white evangelical church.

4 Likes

I had 12 years of Catholic schooling, in high school we were required to take 8 semesters of religion classes but there was a variety to choose from. Religions of the world and the mystery of death were two that I remember. Mystery of Death was taught by a woman with terminal cancer, the one thing I remember her teaching was religion, any religion, is the attempt to answer the question of why we are here.

I personally believe this can’t be all there is. I also believe in evolution and we’ve probablly been here for a lot longer than 4,000 years. Although at some point, when science is trying to pinpoint moments in time from billions of years ago or even millions, you have to take some of that on faith as well.

But even if you believe science 100% all the way back to the big bang they still have to explain where the big bang came from. Something from nothing is a hard pill to swallow.

The same goes for the believers in God, at some point they have to question where God came from. God has always been there is the answer I’ve been given but that don’t fly either. Was God created by another God? Who created that God? Does eternity eventually end?

I have some hard core religious friends, after my should be dead heart attack (all the doctors said it was rare for me to have survived) I had a religious wackadoodle friend try to get me to turn away from the doctors and medicine and put my fate in the hands of God. I explained I did, who do you think gave us the doctors and the medicine that saved my sorry ass? He tried explaining that’s not how it works. I walked away.

As far as asking God for help, I figure anything I could possibly need is trivial compared to what other people are going through so I would never bother God. And while were on that subject, I never understood why religious types believe heaven is the great reward but they desperately pray to not die.

The wife and I had a life changing experience through a freind that we believe was our guardian angel but what troubles me about that is why us? There are plenty more people in this world that deserve more help than us. It’s a very confusing thing this God thing. But I do thank him and God every day.

The only way any of us will be sure is the instant after our last breath. I have high hopes because I really want to see our friend again but if I’m disappointed I guess I’ll never know.

8 Likes

I think you may have misinterpreted what I wrote. There was no suggestion that people do not have free will.

1 Like

Follow this advice and you don’t really need any other chapters in the holy book. Boom. End of story.

2 Likes

Congrats, you’re an atheist, but I won’t label you as such. I’m being glib here, please forgive me. You may label yourself however you choose of course, and don’t listen to me. :grimacing: I agree that plenty of atheists are dicks. Especially self-proclaimed ones who write books and/or lead with it in bars.

Just to clarify for anyone who might not be clear on the definition, and apologies in advance if this is preachy. Atheism simply means the evidence for god(s) is uncompelling and thus why bother with the idea. There’s no need to prove “there is no god”. That would be a proving a negative (which is generally impossible) and it isn’t a valuable hypothesis in any case. This would be “anti-theism” for anyone who wants to label it.

Again, I don’t wish to label either of you, but what you are both saying is aligned with the definition of atheism, hence what I wrote above. :wink:

5 Likes

I’d totally take a pill that was called 5-hour GODMODE.