NYC Ferry department lies about reason for not letting Muslim families aboard

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/18/nyc-ferry-department-lies-abou.html

6 Likes

When human decency fails make them pay through the nose. It won’t make them decent but maybe it’ll change some behavior.

14 Likes

The already-inflated cost of the NYC Ferry just went up by another million.

I like the idea of the ferry, but it’s perhaps the least cost-effective solution to NYC’s transit issues. And that’s without getting into all the shenanigans about the contract.

3 Likes

This sounds like one racist gatekeeper with a little authority who needs to be fired

11 Likes

Standing on seats? I usually turn a blind eye when my kids do that on the subway unless they’re bothering someone. One should never assume that public transit facilities are sterile, and should always bring along hand sanitizier.

2 Likes

Surrounded by a large apparatus that would rather be racist than admit the problem is a racist gatekeeper who needs to be fired.

14 Likes

Well technically, the kid isn’t standing on the seat! :slight_smile:

I see no problem with this, especially since they are white! /sarcasm

1 Like

Yeah, we probalby get away with stuff that other people would get eye-rolls for. And I hate that. Fortunatly, my girl’s best friends are mostly from India and Saudia Arabia so she gets some exposure to other cultures. Her friends moved back home after pre-school so we have to skype with them early in the AM (late night for them).

6 Likes

This is what happens when an organization thinks diversity training is a fad, or too expensive. It’s about to get a lot more expensive.

4 Likes

100%!!! And beyond the fact that it doesn’t happen often, there is that general assumption that we, as white people, are likely not in the wrong, and that we should not be severely punished for those same complaints or problems.

1 Like

As long as you acknowledge and own your unearned privilege…

My mom stayed on us about not misbehaving or embarrassing her and our ourselves in public, when I was growing up.

And I did the same with my kid, but for a different reason; if Black kids publicly ‘act up’, it’s seen as a negative reflection upon all of us.

15 Likes

No argument here

It ain’t right, but that don’t mean it ain’t so.

8 Likes

Of course it’s not right… but as you say, it is reality, nevertheless.

Robin Harris created a whole routine about the social stigma of ill-behaved Black children (even amongst ourselves within the Black community) called BeBe’s Kids, which then went on to become an animated movie.

10 Likes

Considering that they knew that they had to lie about the actual reason, I’m pretty sure training wouldn’t have done any good. If it was a simple case of ignorance, they wouldn’t have had to lie about it.

1 Like

Hello and goodbye, comrade.

14 Likes

The guy you love raped a twelve year old girl. He would likely rape female relatives of yours, assuming he found them “hot”.

2 Likes

Did I hear a small buzzing? Like a fly, but smaller and less consequential.

Must be my imagination.

11 Likes

10 Likes

13 Likes