NYC public schools to close for two Muslim holidays

I’m sorry, I couldn’t hear you over the squeaking of your bootstraps.

4 Likes

Maybe the state letting you keep your children?

1 Like

I thought that was the sound of windmills.

1 Like

To be clear, what you’re hearing is called “tilting”

That’s backwards. You are assuming that this is up to them in the first place. If this requires my complicity, then how are they in any sense “my children”?

I raise my kids according to my values and understanding, and those are to provide them with the best education possible, as well as cultivate the understanding that the state is subordinate to people - and that it is their responsibility to direct and guide the state.

1 Like

I thought it was the sound of people trying to save face by implying snarky BS, because they had given up on participating in any meaningful way. Sorry about that, but don’t take it out on me.

1 Like

Participating in any meaningful way? You mean like getting local school boards to recognize Muslim holidays?

Oh, that’s right, that wasn’t something that anyone actually achieved, and we should really be blaming parents for being afraid of social services and truancy officer in the first place,and for being worried about their children’s permanent records and future access to education. Those cowardly parents!

Honestly, you sound as out of touch as Mitt Romney telling folks he understands about making sacrifices to go to school because he had to sell off some of his stocks when he was at BYU and then Harvard.

3 Likes

No, not really. It could be worse, I suppose. If secular schools are going to acknowledge people’s religious freedom to celebrate their holidays, they don’t get to decide which religions benefit from this. Otherwise it is the typical shite status quo of taking an equitable idea and realizing it only for a certain group of people. Fixing something which was unfair by once again changing it to still be “more fair for some than others”. It provides the illusion of progress while completely missing the point by disregarding what was unfair about it in the first place.

Yes, I’d say this sounds rather dim and misguided. Fear and worry tend to be unhelpful, as does blame. And what exactly is “access to education”? Education seems to me to be a process of cultivation and self-mastery, once “accesses” it by resolve to apply oneself. A kid who works out for an hour per day and either lives in a library or juggles a few courses via edX is going to benefit more than most kids in gradeschool possibly would.

How exactly do I sound like that? That doesn’t seem anything like what I am getting at. It sounds like you are still somehow working within a classist paradigm, but I could be wrong. Whenever I suggest here that self-governance and direct political action seem like they key to getting on in social life, everybody jumps on my case and complains that “nobody does this”. Which is exactly my point. Part of me wonders if most people honestly cannot conceive of people living as equals. If I really am “out of touch” in some way, I would hope it could be lucidly explained, but instead I tend to feel browbeaten once I get too far from people’s comfort zones.

That’s not an assumption, that’s a well-established fact. CPS won’t hesitate to take your kids away if they think you’re negligent, and the force of the legal system will back them up, deaf to your refusal of the social contract and your insistence that the state negotiate with you individually on equal terms.

The government isn’t going to recognize your house as a sovereign nation, either.

5 Likes

I’m sure that such things have happened. But how would I be at risk of being perceived negligent? I am not an accused person, trying to lawyer my way out of trouble. I am a principled person, going on the offensive in the first place. I really have no doubt that I can confront them and make our position clear.

I never even said that I had a government, but thanks for assuming that I answer to one. I’m sure it takes a burden off their shoulders to know that you are out here fronting and doing the hard part of their job for them for free. It’s people like you who make it all possible.

People need to figure out who their friends/allies are…

Public schools give holidays on days when lots of kids would be absent, whether they were absent for religious or secular reasons. Summer holidays are a secular example of this. Now they’ve given holidays for two more days when lots of kids are absent, except these happen to be religious days. They aren’t disregarding what makes other religious holidays unfair, they’re recognizing what is unfair about the current system.

Good luck applying that definition of education into being put on track for high-school graduation, college acceptance, and employment.

By suggesting that Muslim families—many of which are likely to be recent immigrants in precarious economic situations and strangers to US political mechanisms—should be negotiating their place in society and dictating the terms of their children’s education. By making ridiculous comments suggesting that if the government has the ability to take children away (which they can), then children don’t belong to their parents in the first place.

Welcome to the world. It’s nice you want to break this paradigm, but it’s not so nice when you start asking others to sacrifice themselves and their children in your cause, especially when the people you’re asking are already some of the most vulnerable and easily harmed.

4 Likes

Nahh - that’s a different sound. That’s Elusis, L_Mariachi and I taking the piss…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.