NYPD cop who choked Eric Garner lied about it to investigators, says judge

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/19/nypd-cop-who-choked-eric-garne.html

8 Likes

Can’t tell if copy/paste error, or surreal Beschizza meta-driving trollies…

Also, we have video so who cares what this member of the CYA murder club says. Go to jail Pantaleo, or shoot yourself in the goddamned face and go straight to hell.

7 Likes

according to the opinion that grew out of a departmental trial that ended in June. The best things to do in N.Y.C. during the hottest season of the year. This limited-edition newsletter will launch before Memorial Day and run through Labor Day. Judge Maldonado, a deputy commissioner with the Police Department…

Ahem, what?

eta: @HMSGoose You beat me to it. Yeah at first I thought this - a departmental trial that ended in June. The best things to do in N.Y.C. during the hottest season of the year was some really strange sarcasm…

1 Like

NYPD cop who choked Eric Garner lied about it to investigators, says judge

That Police Officer is just doing what he was trained to do, lie & deny.

7 Likes

Bummer about the minor slip-up Rob; some people will spend more time on a mistake that’s no longer visible than they will the actual topic at hand, sadly.

Speaking of the topic at hand; a judge says the cop lied… but prosecutors won’t charge him with a crime…

This is muthafuckin’ “America.”

SMDH

15 Likes

Copy-paste error, and I’ve fixed it.

(It is grim humor for the NYT to be advertising “the best things to do in NYC” between paragraphs about an NYPD cop choking an unarmed black man to death, but copy-pasting the raw text without editing it out was my mistake)

10 Likes

The judge says that he was untruthful and should be fired. I can’t quite wrap my head around the implication that if he had been honest about killing a man with a chokehold, then that would be ok.
He killed someone that he had sworn to protect, whether he was honest about it afterwards seems completely beside the point

4 Likes

“… from a canon, into space.”

Yeah, that too. So honesty is something we expect from murderous police now? I would prefer less murdering fist. Then they do’t have as much to lie about.

5 Likes

Yeah, no, I’m the troll here, no part of me really thought you left it in on purpose, but after I finally sorted out what happened, my brain had already been jarred by trying to resolve it all logically that it felt like I’d been hit by some particularly pointed satire. It took me through some dark thoughts about the NYT’s premium blend of tragedy reporting and bougie bullshit, coming closest to parsing it as somehow they were lamenting that the tragedy was multiplied by the boardwalk being sullied by the controversy.

3 Likes

If I HAD done that I’d have screengrabbed it and signaled it in my unquoted copy, so I couldn’t be accused of manipulating the context. In fairness to the NYT, “ctrl-C” picking it up as inline plain text makes it far worse than it was. It’s not appropriate as it actually appeared, off in a sidebar–if it were in print, it would be troublesome–but it’s not blithely offensive on a website everyone knows is automatically cobbled together from templates.

If I wanted to make a point about the NYT’s issues today, I’d quote its headline yesterday describing white house white supremacist Stephen Miller as a " conservative firebrand", which is literally one of the white supremacy euphemisms from my “New York Times White Supremacy Euphemism Generator

5 Likes
5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.