NYPD fires Daniel Pantaleo, the lying police officer who strangled Eric Garner to death

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/19/nypd-commissioner-will-fire-da.html

Daniel Pantaleo used fatal chokehold during the 2014 arrest of Eric Garner

7 Likes

Well, finally.

Still… the JD won’t file charges, and the chances are good this guy will just end up employed with some other police department.

I really hate this timeline.

41 Likes

At least Fox has it’s replacement for Tucker Carlson all lined up just in case.

15 Likes

That it takes 5 years, and a judge stepping in after he’s been “cleared?!?” to dislodge someone from their job - a job that gives them a license to kill, weapons, and the backing of the state - is fucking dark. With that amount of power, “Police Officer” should be the easiest job in the world to lose.

The fact that losing his job is the worst that will happen to him? Even worse.

37 Likes

And maybe some pressure on de Blasio during the Dem debates. I’m not sure if causal, but the timing was suggestive.

7 Likes

Between @Melz2 and @HMSGoose there’s not much I can add. I expect if he loses the appeal, he will find work in another department easily enough, and I would much rather he spend the next decade on the other side of prison bars.

9 Likes

NYPD fires Daniel Pantaleo, the lying police officer who strangled Eric Garner to death

Please place this firmly in the “better late than never” file.

18 Likes

You joke, but I really wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t show up, in some capacity, on Fox.

3 Likes

Now watch the police union sue the city, initiate a strike, and have the commissioner/chief say he did nothing wrong.

Police unions are a perversion.

10 Likes

Pantaleo’s case was originally heard in front of a Staten Island grand jury, which is a predominantly conservative, trumpy neighborhood, compared to any other NYC borough–where, coincidentally, many police officers live. I wonder if that may have been related to why he wasn’t indicted…

3 Likes

I doubt the venue had much to do with it. There aren’t many venues in this country where there are a shortage of people willing to let cops get away with anything.

This is America

9 Likes

So a precedent has been set whereby if I kill someone while I’m working, my punishment will be getting fired?

Good to know.

5 Likes

Might be getting fired.

Or, might be paid leave for several weeks then business as usual.

Or, even might be held on the force, work a desk job for another couple of years, then asked to resign with full pension and benefits.

9 Likes

Thanks. I’ll be taking things a lot easier on the job now!

6 Likes

Maybe these guys should be placed in non-approved chokeholds until they’re on the ground, then continue to be held in such. You know, so they can have a bit of experience with the situation so they’re better informed, and can draw reasonable conclusions about the topic.

(but then maybe they’d have to remove those f-ing brain dead shirts…)

5 Likes

Don’t worry, everyone! It’s alright. He’ll have a new job with a different department before the month is out. Repeat. The. Cop. Will. Be. Alright.

2 Likes

I’m sure ICE is hiring.

3 Likes

So much pain in the world, and these these fuck nuts appear satisfied a man was killed over loosies. I hope they lost friends and jobs.

3 Likes

Eric Garner was accused of selling loosies.

NYPD officers approached Garner on July 17 on suspicion of selling single cigarettes from packs without tax stamps. After Garner told the police that he was tired of being harassed and that he was not selling cigarettes, the officers attempted to arrest Garner.

I have yet to see the trial records where the dead human being was found guilty of this crime.

7 Likes